Cupcake help needed

dancewest, Dec 11, 9:39am
Hi everyone.
Am in a phase of making cupcakes. Started with vanilla - worked well. Got my recipe from joyofbaking.com. Then tried chocolate today. As simple as I know it should be, they were a disaster! The website calls for Dutch processed cocoa. That really put me off. What is the equivalent in NZ! Naive as it might sound, I'm not a baker and am learning as I go.
Anyway, tried a different recipe as it called for general baking cocoa. Filled my cases 1/2 to maybe just over a 1/2 full. Opened oven to check around 15 minute mark. Overflowing! But some were cooked (after a prick test). Some weren't done so left them for another 2 mins. Then, low and behold, some of the ones that were done collapsed. So did I undercook them! (the one I tried seemed cooked through). Did my recipe get it wrong with baking soda in it causing the explosion over the cases!

And. Where can one buy edible glitter from in Auckland!
And if someone can answer the Dutch processed cocoa mystery it would be appreciated.

I have to bake more for my husbands work shout on Thursday so am
Hoping to get it right by then.
Thanks

baalamb, Dec 11, 6:08pm
I'm not much of a baker myself, so cant help with your more specific concerns, but I would suggest if the vanilla ones turned out well, use the same basic recipe, and add cocoa. Likewise if you want to make a variety of flavours - use the basic recipe, add orange zest, or spices etc.

kiwitrish, Dec 11, 6:19pm
As a cake decorator I use Nigella's cup cake recipe.Dead easy and works out great every time.I have the recipe if you want it.

dancewest, Dec 11, 6:33pm
Kiwitrish- yes please!
Now if only I can find the edible glitter.

kiwitrish, Dec 11, 7:07pm
Nigella's Easy Peasy Cupcakes
125g butter, softened
125g sugar
125g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons of milk

Preheat oven to 200C, or 180C if using fan-forced.

Place all the ingredients except the milk into a food processor. Blitz in short bursts until
the mixture is well combined and smooth.

Whilst pulsing the mixture, gradually pour in the two tablespoons of milk through the food processor funnel. Blitz until the milk has been incoporated. The mixture should look smooth. Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.
Divide the mixture across a patty-lined 12-muffin tin. A generous tablespoon should be sufficient, as the mixture should triple in size when baked.
Bake for 15-20min or until well-risen and the tops are a pale gold in colour. Ice when cool.

Variations:
Lemon cupcakes: Add two teaspoons of finely grated lemon rind.
Chocolate cupcakes: Add two tablespoons of cocoa.

Buttercream icing: Beat 125g softened unsalted butter with 250g pure icing sugar using an electric mixer. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and 2 teaspoons of milk. Beat until smooth (a wooden spoon can be easier at this point), adding either more milk or icing
sugar if necessary. Use a piping bag to decorate swirls onto cooled cupcakes.

Chocolate icing: Melt 90g of dark chocolate (broken in pieces) and 30g butter in a bowl
sitting over a pot of gently simmering water. Stir until melted, then add 1 cup icing sugar and about 2 tablespoons of hot water. Mix well and add either more hot water or icing sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Using a spatula to slather generously over cooled cupcakes.
I just throw it all in the food processor and blitz.They come out perfect every time.

sarahb5, Dec 12, 1:23am
You can buy Dutch cocoa powder at New World and Countdown

kimkat1, Dec 12, 1:38am
Edible glitter is avaliabe on here. type glitter in under cake decorating

indy95, Dec 12, 2:09am
Dancewest,I have bumped a thread on different brands of baking cocoa for you to look at. I think the term Dutch process just means that the cocoa has had some of the acidity or bitterness removed from it.

sleyle, Dec 12, 2:27am
Dutch cocoa powder is found in the European section of Pak n Save, well the one in Pukekohe has it and I find it much better and darker than other cocoas - should be as it is more expensive.

lisa7, Dec 12, 9:02am
I also went through a cupcake stage, I still to this day get requests from a lot of friends,I have found the best recipes from this board.
'Best Ever Cupcakes' and 'Miracle Cakes'
MIRACLE CAKES
1 c flour, 1t baking powder, 1t baking soda, 1/4t salt, 1T Cocoa, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c milk, 2T golden syrup, 55gm melted butter, 1 beaten egg.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cocoa. Add sugar & mix lightly.In a pot, warm milk, golden syrup and then add melted butter & beaten egg. Add to dry ingredients and mix together. 3/4 fill cupcake cases. Bake 180C for 10-15 minutes.Cool on wire rack.
BEST EVER CUPCAKES
Crack 2 eggs into a 1 cup measuring jug.Fill to the top with cream.Pour into a bowl and beat for 3 minutes.Add 3/4 c castor sugar & 1t vanilla essence, Beat 1 minute.Add 1 c self raising flour and fold mixture until combined.3/4 fill cupcakes cases and bake 12 minutes or until golden brown.Cool on wire rack.
Thank you to the posters for these recipe, they have entered my personal recipe book, that will hopefully be passed down the family for generations to come.

dancewest, Dec 17, 2:17am
Hey guys. Thanks for all your help re cocoa. I've figured out where I went wrong now and have been making cupcakes nearly every day :)