Er, how do I use a rice cooker!

masturbidder, Dec 11, 2:21am
.not a silly question, I could cook rice in a pot, but here is this gadget without instructions.
Hot or cold water! how much! how long! Add oil and salt!

davidt4, Dec 11, 2:24am
Cold water.1c rice to 1 & 1/2 c water.Most rice cookers automatically turn the temperature down to "warm" when the rice is cooked, and you can then leave it for hours if necessary.No oil, add salt if you like.

You can probably find an online manual quite easily.

masturbidder, Dec 11, 2:36am
thanks, one more domestic mystery solved !

sarahb5, Dec 11, 3:56am
I use equal amounts of rice and water and I don't wash my rice before cooking either - perfect every time except last time when my daughter decided to help by (a) removing the lid before it was cooked and (b) stirring it part way through cooking as well

masturbidder, Dec 11, 8:41am
Ah so.
I took the lid off several times to check, and stirred it.
We all ate it anyway.

sarahb5, Dec 11, 9:12am
Mine never usually sticks when I use the rice cooker, with my daughter lifting the lid and stirring it part way through cooking it was quite sticky - could be coincidence as it was a different brand of rice but maybe not .

nzhel, Dec 11, 10:00pm
I've always cooked rice in a pot on the stove. Seeing people seem to rave over using a rice cooker a bought a cheap one earlier this yet. It cooks rice perfectly - but I don't like the texture of it compared to the stovetop method. I am still using the same brand/type of rice too. I suppose its all about taste really and which you prefer.

sarahb5, Dec 11, 10:29pm
I didn't think I needed a rice cooker until my daughter raved about the one her landlady had when she was boarding during her first year at uni - now I wouldn't be without it, so easy