Truffles without crush biscuits or condensed milk.

cautis, Dec 10, 7:56pm
Many years ago, way back in Intermediate, we had to make truffles.They were in no way similar to the recipes I can find here.They had icing sugar and cocoa in them and in the end were rolled in coconut, then placed in the fridge to harden.

I don't want to make any of the truffle recipes here, that involve expensive biscuits etc, I would just really appreciate it if someone can recognise the recipe I'm after and post it please.

If it helps, it was 1982 or '83.

Thanks

cautis, Dec 10, 8:18pm
Ok, after doing a search, maybe they were called snowballs, but I don't remember them having weetbix or condensed milk in them, so maybe this will ring a bell for someone.

bounce16, Dec 10, 8:22pm
Have you looked at the one in the Edmonds book!I think that is the one your after.

nanasee1, Dec 10, 8:22pm
125g softened butter, 2 cups icing sugar, 3 Tbsp cocoa, 1/2 tsp essence. Mix well together. Shape into balls, roll in coconut or chocolate dip them.

marywea, Dec 10, 8:25pm
TRUFFLES
Melt 1/4 lb butter.
Pour over already mixed 1/2lb icing sugar, 2oz coconut,
2tabsp cocoa and 1 cup sultanas-opt.
Roll into balls, roll in coconut and into fridge. The recipe said "2oz" coconut and I was never sure if this was what was needed to roll them in-I put into mixture and coatedin some extra. Enjoy.

cautis, Dec 10, 8:27pm
Awesome, thank you so much!

uli, Dec 10, 8:28pm
http://australianfood.about.com/od/bakingdesserts/r/BasicTruffles.htm

Ingredients:

150 grams good quality dark semi-sweet chocolate
100 grams of room temperature butter, cubed
1 egg yolk
1 tsp of honey
Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
Finely chopped nuts like pistachios, almonds or hazelnuts (optional)

cautis, Dec 10, 9:23pm
Thanks everyone, a few variances to try!