Alison Holst loaf/cake using fresh root ginger

unknowndisorder, Jun 19, 4:15am
x1
Bumping another thread :)

baalamb, Dec 10, 7:19pm
x2
An Alison Holst book I used to have had this recipe in it. She said that you could replace the fresh ginger with powdered, but suggested trying the original version at least once/ Does anyone still have the recipe!

pickles7, Dec 10, 8:21pm
x1
google took me right to it.

elliehen, Dec 10, 9:55pm
x1
.and while you were there, pickles7 you didn't bother to copy and paste!Don't opt out of Christmas spirit as well as Christmas ;)

Alison Holst's Gingerbread Recipe

This recipe is from one of my dearest friends, who lives in NZ. It is so yummy and well worth grating all that ginger--I use quite a bit more than 1 tablespoon! In fact, I'd say I use a good 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup!

1 egg
125g/4.5 oz butter, cubed
1/2 cup/125ml/4 fl oz boiling water
1/2 cup/100g/3.5 oz firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup/125ml/4 fl oz golden syrup
1 T fresh finely grated root ginger (or as much as you want)
1 3/4 cups/220g/8 oz flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated lemon rind
plus mixed spice, allspice

Cut butter into about 16 cubes, and pour water over them in a pot. Heat till butter melts, then remove from heat. Do not let mixture boil. Add brown sugar, golden syrup, unbeaten egg and root ginger. Mix thoroughly.

Sift all dry ingredients together into mixture, which should be lukewarm, add lemon rind and beat till relatively free of lumps.

Pour into ring tin (7 cups/1 3/4l/56 fl oz size); bottom lined with baking paper and sides lightly greased. Bake in preheated oven (180C/350F) for 25 minutes, leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes.

If baked in a loaf tin, takes about 50-60 minutes to bake.

Ice with ginger icing if desired.

pickles7, Dec 10, 10:03pm
Simple;
I don't copy and paste recipes, that I have not made myself.

elliehen, Dec 10, 10:07pm
Then in this case, since you actually chose to answer the questioner, why not just give the link!

It's only research, not putting your neck on the block with a recipe you haven't tried ;)

baalamb, Dec 11, 7:39am
Thanks again elliehen! And pickles! Funny, I had 'googled' it once before and had no luck, so didnt even bother this time. I thought my only hope was if someone had the book and remembered it!