Gluten free people

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 5:03am
please tell me that Jo Seagar's New York-style Baked Cheesecake is gluten free. Ingredients are:

250g ricotta
250g cream cheese
250g sour cream
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup cornflour
3 eggs
1 tsp lemon juice

Have googled the numbers in the cheeses and while they tell me the big long names it doesn't actually say whether they are wheat based (and how would I know anyway!). Yes have bought maise cornflour. Thanks for your help in advance!

davidt4, Dec 10, 5:10am
If you are gluten-free I think you should steer clear of any product that is not absolutely clear in its description.You could make your own ricotta, cream cheese and sour cream if you're that way inclined.

You also need to check the cornflour, as some is made from wheat.

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 5:14am
I'm not gluten free but dinner guests coming tomorrow and next week are. As I said, I have maize cornflour. Numbers in cheese all seem to be stabilisers not thickeners so I think I'm ok.

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 8:31pm
Bumping because I still want to know!

davidt4, Dec 10, 10:09pm
If you tell us the "big long names" someone should be able to help.

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 10:18pm
Emulsifier (450,339), Stabilizer (401), Thickener (1422), Acidity regulator (206), preservative (202). Ta.

davidt4, Dec 10, 10:24pm
I googled the first one (emulsifier 450) and got the following web site immediately.You should be able to search this site for all the other additives.

http://www.additivesinfood.info/codes/450/

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 10:34pm
Thanks davidt4 for trying. Didn't tell me actually what things made from though. Wiki is my friend, I should have looked there first!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_additives,_Codex_Alimentarius
Tells me most of these things from algae or kelp.
Yay! Gluten free dessert done.

blfogarty, Dec 10, 10:58pm
My daughter's partner is cealiac and so absolutely no gluten. He does not eat anything with thickener 1422 in it. I googled it just now and it says that sometimes this thickener may be wheat based, sometimes not, so you really can't tell. Might be best not to use it though. Hope this helps.

blfogarty, Dec 10, 11:01pm
If you look at the link you posted and keep clicking through the links to 'starch" you will find that they are plant based which can mean they come from wheat.

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 11:28pm
Ok thanks folks! Thats what I wanted to know! Going to ring company and check.

deluxe4u, Dec 10, 11:49pm
Thickener 1422 should be ok as long as it isn't followed by (tapioca) or (wheat). Is modified maize starch, and used in gluten free flour and gluten free packet mixes. Will check with guest though.