Chocolate custard muffin recipe!

torichic, Mar 14, 3:02am
Yum,,made these and love them,,,,my favorite by far!cheers

deflatedpumpkin, Dec 9, 8:22am
I found this online and thought I'd share.
This recipe is from Roger Pizey, who has been Marco Pierre White's pastry chef for years. such moist muffins!
First image I had was chocolate muffins with gooey yellow custard in the middle, but they're just really moist choco muffins!

50g cornflour
3 level tbsp cocoa
100g dark soft brown sugar
225ml cold water
75g unsalted butter, cubed
125g dark chocolate, broken small
75ml sunflower oil (I just used the cooking oil in the pantry and it was fine)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
125g caster sugar
125g plain flour
2½ tsp baking powder

First make the custard:
Put the cornflour, cocoa, brown sugar and water into a saucepan and whisk together over a medium heat until boiling, very thick and smooth. Remove from the heat, beat in the butter and chocolate until melted and absorbed, then add the oil, vanilla and one of the eggs, and beat again until combined. Add the remaining egg and the caster sugar, and beat again until smooth and thick.

Measure the flour and baking powder into another bowl, stir together, then sift directly on to the custard and beat through until combined. Spoon into a dozen paper muffin cases sitting in the pockets of a muffin tray; heat the oven to 180C and bake for 25 minutes.

NOTE: I discovered. use a good sized saucepan, whisk the hell out of the custard, it thickens very quickly. and if using "normal" sized muffin cases, it makes about 14. or 12 normal + 6 mini!

babytears, Dec 10, 4:40am
OHhhhhhhh looks like a great recipe - thanks! Will have to try

wheelz, Dec 10, 5:57am
Thank you, saved!

elliehen, Dec 10, 6:11am
Me too :)

spunkeymonkey, Dec 17, 4:46am
yum bump