Christmas Day dessert ideas please

Page 1 / 4
1mlost, Nov 3, 6:19pm
Can any1 help me, I want 2 make ambrosia !

kiwibubbles, Nov 4, 11:34pm
i want that layered pancotta recipe too - pretty please!

cardiffgirl, Nov 5, 2:34am
our traditional Xmas day desserts are;
A terrine of summer fruits which is a Delia Smith recipe
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/a-terrine-of-summer-fruits.html (Lindaur Fraise is perfect for this) and Nigellas Anglo-Italian trifle (fab for breakfast the next day!) http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/anglo-italian-trifle-230

kcak, Dec 9, 1:35am
I'm making a pavlova stack with cream/yoghurt & berry filling, but am not sure what to make to go with it. We aren't going for the traditional Christmas pud etc, but perhaps the ice-cream & fruit mince pud might be good. What are your thoughts!

firemansgirl, Dec 9, 2:00am
I'm doing a loaf that is half panna cotta and half mixed summer berries in a rose wine jelly. You pour the fruit jelly in first and let it set then pour the cooled panna cota on top. Once it's all cold you invert it onto a plate, it looks really pretty, and just slice it and tastes great.

mums.toys, Dec 9, 2:15am
im doing each family members favourite so.pavalova stack with white choc cream and berries, white choc and rasp cheesecake, trifle,xmas pudding(blerk) fresh fruit salad and strawberries jelly and icecream!

kinna54, Dec 9, 2:29am
I am doing all the desserts for over xmas, lunch and dinner, including grandddies bday on xams eve.
I have been asked to do the pavs.again. geez boring but they are nice. ambrosia, toffee pop cheesecake, my berry trifle, fresh fruit salad, fruit custard tarts, profiteroles and brandy snaps.(will cheat and buy those).
Not sure what I will serve yet on each day.and what combinations, but sure it will all come together somewhere.
It is all actually pretty easy. NO xmas pudding this year!

neich, Dec 9, 2:32am
am making a huge Trifle, has jelly. sponge. fruit. custard. cream in it. English recipe. three layers of different coloured jellies. tell you, its going to be a huge one, for the local Community Lunch on Christmas Day. I am not a lover of Christmas pudding, but last weekend, had the best one ever, but home made by the chefs.it wasnt as sickly as previous ones, loved it, now never loved Christmas pud before!

susieq9, Dec 9, 2:32am
Have been asked to do a Tiramisu, instead of the usual trifle. Can taste it now."licking lips".

fec2003, Dec 9, 2:50am
Summer Pudding is great. With all the soft fruits available there's no limit to the combinations! I like to make it extra festive by using a Panatone (Italian fruit bread) instead of normal bread. It gives it a "Christmassy" taste. Serve it well-chilled with a good dollop of mascarpone . . . yummy!

bluetigerrr, Dec 9, 3:09am
Hi firemansgirl - any chance of getting that recipe off you! It sounds wonderful and I'd love to make it because I've been charged with making dessert this year. Many thanks if you can :)

buzzy110, Dec 9, 3:15am
Can someone please tell me why they have to have so many desserts to serve at just one meal! It is totally over the top especially as most of them are fairly pedestrian fare. We just used to have Xmas Pud with custard and that was all.

No 1, I would have thought that your pav confection would be ample but if something else is truly required then I'd go for a bowl of fresh strawberries and another of raspberries along with a bowl of extra whipped cream mixed with the yoghurt.

elliehen, Dec 9, 3:34am
ALISON HOLST'S INSTANT STRAWBERRY ICECREAM

For 3–4 servings
2 cups frozen (diced) free-flow strawberries
½ cup icing sugar
about ½ cup chilled cream, milk or yoghurt

Chop berries into 5mm–1cm cubes. Fruit must be frozen hard, free-flow and in small pieces when used. Tip into food processor bowl. Work quickly to keep fruit very cold. Process with metal chopping blade until fruit is finely chopped (10–20 seconds). This is a noisy operation. Without delay, add the icing sugar and process briefly until mixed.

With machine running, add the chilled liquid of your choice through the feed-tube in a fine stream, until a smooth, frozen cream has formed. The amount needed varies from batch to batch. Stop as soon as the mixture is evenly textured and creamy.

Serve ice cream made with chilled milk or yoghurt immediately. If made with cream, it may be frozen for later use if desired. Options: Experiment with other berries, berry mixtures and cubed raw fruit. Berries with many seeds are not successful and bland fruit does not make memorable ice cream.

kcak, Dec 9, 3:41am
Thank you everyone, but can you post the jelly idea firemansgirl!

mums.toys, Dec 9, 3:59am
as i said in my post, everyone gets there favourite.i couldnt care less if its 'pedestrian' or not, its their favourite

tania007, Dec 9, 4:23am
Could somebody post the recipe please for toffee pop cheesecake and the white choc and raspberry cheesecake,thanks.

buzzy110, Dec 9, 4:34am
No. You can post what you like but I am always bemused that so much effort is put into providing enough desserts in one meal to keep a normal household going for a whole year. All I wanted to know was why do it! Surely after a wonderful meal, so many desserts at once will not be as memorable, or indeed, welcome, as if they were served up, one at a time, throughout the year.

firemansgirl, Dec 9, 4:40am
Wow I didn't think anyone would request it! I'm out tonight, will endeavour to post it on the weekend sometime. It really is lovely.

kinna54, Dec 9, 4:53am
Here you go:
Caramel and chocolate Cheesecake:(toffee pops, or you can use the cheaper budget version) I sometimes use 2 pkts toffee pops as I like the base quite thick, and like lots of pieses thru the filling. You don't need to double the filling tho!

200g toffee pop biscuits
40gms butter (melted)
250gm pkt cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
3 teaspoons gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup thickened cream (whipped)
#1 lightly grease the sides and line the base of a 22cm springform pan with baking paper or foil.
Place biscuits in a plastic bag and break into pieces with a rolling pin. *biscuits should not be totally crushed*. Reserve 1/4 cup biscuits, in small chunks.
Place remaining biscuits into a bowl and add butter
Mix and press into base of the prepared pan. Chill.
#2 Using electric beaters beat cream cheese and sugar until softened and combined.
Add sour cream and beat till smooth. Fold gelatine through whipped cream and then fold through cream cheese mixture.
#3 Fold in reserved biscuits. Spread mix over the chilled biscuit base. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hrs until set, or overnight if possible.
Serve with chocolate sauce, cream and chocolate curls.
This delicious cheesecake just melts in your mouth. divine.

chooky, Dec 9, 5:37am
I'm on desserts this year too. Im doing about 10 different ones, but they are all small sizes, like in shot glasses or mini cases. First year I have actually enjoyed what I have to do and it was my suggestion to do it. I have got some lovely recipes off here and are enjoying making them, half of them are in the freezer already. My way of thinking is less weight will go on with small portions!.

rj5, Dec 9, 5:48am
Im definitely tryingthe toffee pop chescake this year and actualy I love white toffee pops so might do a packet of each

tania007, Dec 9, 5:59am
Cool thanks so much,sounds lovely.

cookessentials, Dec 9, 8:01am
Well, I am making a fresh apricot tarte tatin. I have the Emile Henry flame series tarte tatin and a customer bought in the apricot version that came from the Country Calendar cook book. We have a local orchard that has delicious apricots around Christmas time. I am doing a pork,prune and pistachio terrine a couple of nights before Christmas and will serve this with Jersey Benne potatoes and salad greens from our garden.

bluetigerrr, Dec 9, 9:50am
I was going to make this but firemansgirl's sounds WAY more aesthetically astonishing and delighting so I'll probably abandon the blancmange now :) But in case anyone's interested .

Elegant and Delicious Blancmange

Note: Needs to be almond paste - not marzipan (that's just too sweet).
You serve the blancmange surrounded by a crimson-coloured mixed berry soup/coulis (no pips though), a small dollop of fruit ice cream, a few fresh berries ie blackberries and raspberries look good together and a sprig of mint behind them. It makes 6-8 individual desserts.

2 & 1/4 sheets of gelatine
12oz full cream
3oz whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split
3/4oz of almond paste
1 & 1/4oz sugar

Method:
1. Soften the gelatine in a bowl of ice water.
2. In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring 4oz cream, the milk, vanilla bean and seeds and the almond paste just to a boil, whisking to make sure that the almond paste is fully dissolved. Squeeze out the softened gelatin sheets and add to the hot liquid, whisking until thoroughly dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool.
3. Whip the remaining 8oz cream with the sugar until it holds medium peaks. Fold in the whipped cream to the cooled milk mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into dessert molds or small dessert cups, cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, from 4 hours to overnight.

kinna54, Dec 9, 9:51am
buzzy if you read my thread I am catering for more than one meal. andmore than one day: There will not be lashings to feed everyone for weeks, just a taste of something to please all, including the babies.: xmas comes but once a year!