I'm cooking the chooks in the crockpot.

celosia, Dec 8, 10:36am
this year as I think they are moister and don't dry out.However family members still want the 'stuffing'.Anyone able to help me with a very easy, quick and tasty recipe that can be cooked in the oven please!I'm not into lots of herbs etc.Thanks.

245sam, Dec 8, 11:44am
celosia, I have baked both of the following two stuffings in the oven i.e. separate from the chicken/turkey.

APRICOT AND GINGER STUFFING
½ cup dried apricots
boiling water
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp grated root ginger
1½ cups soft breadcrumbs
saltandfreshly ground black pepper
1 egg

Place the apricots in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave to rehydrate for about 1 hour. Drain and chop. Mix the onion, apricots, ginger, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and egg together until well combined. Use to stuff chicken or turkey or bake in muffin tins at 180°C for 10 minutes. Makes about 1½ cups.

CRAISIN STUFFING
Moist, tasty, lovely flavour.
1 onion, sliced
50g butter
2-3 middle bacon rashers, chopped
2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
1 apple, chopped
1 x 170g packet craisins
½ cup fresh chopped herbs (e.g. thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley)
saltandfreshly ground pepper to taste

Place the onion, butter and bacon in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and allow to cool slightly before stuffing into the turkey - it's important that the bird and the stuffing are the same temperature when stuffing the turkey. Place the stuffing into the cavity firmly. Sufficient for a 4 Kg turkey – any extra stuffing can be placed into an ovenproof dish and covered with foil and baked in the oven for 20-30 minutes before serving.

Hope that helps.:-))

rainrain1, Dec 8, 6:42pm
Wrap your stuffing in tinfoil and pop it in the crockpot on top of the chooks

retired, Dec 8, 6:45pm
Put the chooks in an oven bag, much easier to get out of the pot.

celosia, Dec 9, 4:36am
thank you for those recipes and ideas - both stuffings sound really nice.

celosia, Dec 9, 7:22am
245sam - can I use dried herbs!I do have plenty of parsley and chives in the garden but not the others. Thank you.

trickytash, Dec 9, 8:57pm
butter onion and mixed herb stuffing

crumb some stale bread,melt enough butter to moisten crumbs add chopped onions to butter and cook until glassy but not brown.

add melted butter and cooked onions to crumbs add a 1-2 tablespoons of greggs mixed herbs to the crumbs butter and onions then mix well put intotinfoil and bake in oven till thoroughly heated through :)

celosia, Dec 10, 3:43am
now that's a simple way of doing it, thank you trickytash