Butterfly shaped cake for birthday!

blackbnz, Dec 6, 3:10am
oh gosh daughter wants a butterfly shaped cake for birthday.I am hopeless when it comes to making shaped cakes!I purchased a silicon mould in shape of a butterly so hoping that helps!Now she has requested the cake be pink.I can make pink icing but how do I make the cake pink on inside.food colouring!Or does anyone know the best cake to make for this!I suggested banana but no she does not want that!What about chocolate or!

245sam, Dec 6, 3:15am
blackbnz, I'm assuming that there are no allergies re foold colouring!If all is ok re that, do you have a favourite 'plain' cake!If so, then yes, make it pink with the same food colouring as you could then use to make the icing pink, although that depends on the type of icing that you intend to use/make - some icings are better coloured with pastes or powder rather than the liquid food colouring.:-))

nzl99, Dec 6, 3:16am
Just make a vanilla buttercake (use a packet mix if you fancy, kids usually eat the icing and the rest gets thrown out) and add in a few drops of red colouring to get your pink cake.

http://www.google.co.nz/search!q=pink+butterfly+cake&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4WZPH_enNZ448NZ449&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=4IjdTrSZI67RmAXznN2OBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=822

chasing, Dec 6, 3:16am
It's best to use a butter cake mixture and a butter icing.The icing will spread easier and the cake won't crumble. Good Luck

blackbnz, Dec 6, 3:17am
oh thanks no favourite cake.lol in fact I nEVER bake!My 12yr od usually makes the birthday cakes but he is on camp so i am stuck making it
!So maybe just a vanilla cake and add some food colouring!I might talk her into a a chocolate!I am not looking forward to this!lol

blackbnz, Dec 6, 3:20am
thanks wow they look impressive!I purchased the new pink berry icing sugar to make the icing so hoping that is easy enough and I will had some lollies on top too decorate.I can see myself up all night making this!

nzl99, Dec 6, 3:36am
YOu could just make a round cake and buy those feathery butterflies on wire ($2 shop) and stick 20 of them out the top for ease of making.

blackbnz, Dec 6, 4:53am
thanks nzl99 but hoping the butterfly mould I bought will be ok!Or I will do what you suggest!Does anyone know the best icing recipe to make!I will not be piping it I will use an icing spatula to ice all over and then decorate with lollies and I haev some icing in a tube to do the finer details.

perle, Dec 6, 5:50am
I think u should buy the strawberry flavoured cake mix from supermarket, its betty crocker brand, it is a strawberry flavoured pink cake, that comes with white icing that you could just colour. I have made this particular cake 3 times, everybody enjoys it, its moist, tasty, fool proof. Just add eggs, oil water, mix pour into tin and bake. :)

perle, Dec 6, 5:51am

valentino, Dec 6, 6:57am
blackbnz wrote:
oh gosh daughter wants a butterfly shaped cake for birthday.I am hopeless when it comes to making shaped cakes!I purchased a silicon mould in shape of a butterly so hoping that helps .Or does anyone know the best cake to make for this! [quote]

Simply bake a cake in a good size squarish rectangular tin not too deep. Once baked, cut into 3 pieces, two similar size triangles cutting about a cm or 2 from the corner to same on other corner on same side, repeat for other piece and one is left with a strip which will be used to form the body by cutting it so that creates this, The untouched corners of trangles is then fits into the middle meeting the other triangle piece. Form the small pieces to create the body and ice with a nice butter icing then decorate it with eyes etc.

Hopes this helps, works better than using a mould.

Cheers/

blackbnz, Dec 6, 9:18am
Thank you great idea!I might need to get two packets to make it big enough!

punkinthefirst, Dec 6, 9:35pm
Bake a round cake. Cut in half across the centre, and turn the pieces so the curved sides are at the inside. Now, shape the straight, outside, slightly so it looks like a butterfly wing, and use those bits of cut-off cake to make the body (or, if that's too much faffing about, use a chocolate bar). Ice the lot with pretty pastel colours, and there you have it. Easy peasy

blackbnz, Dec 6, 11:58pm
ok purchased 2x packs of the Betty Crockers strawberrys and cream cake mixes.on special at paknsave today which was a bonus!Do you think I should make my own icing or use the icing that comes with the cake mix!

valentino, Dec 7, 12:13am
Ask your daughter what she prefers. then she will really adore your efforts.

Cheers

perle, Dec 7, 12:59am
the icing that comes with the cake mix is really yummy! And you could squeeze it out of the satchets and colour with food colouring. Sometimes i buy the betty crocker frosting in the tub extra, that way there is heaps of icing. Good luck with the cake, I hope you put up pics! :)

rarogal, Dec 7, 4:30am
Ive used this one, it is delicious and very moist!Didnt use the frosting though as I don't think it sets as icing does, wasn't sure, but didnt want a gooey cake for the kids.

fordfeet, Dec 7, 7:09am
Very clever :)

claudeandstu, Dec 8, 7:43am
Body of butterfly can also be made with cupcakes