Menu for a Christmas morning tea

seafield1, Dec 4, 8:44am
On a bit of a budget and are doing a Christmas morning tea for 20 later this week. Hoping to do it for about $40 for the food but I don't think it will be enough. Any ideas. I thought so far sandwichs, sausage rolls, mince bits,

waswoods, Dec 4, 9:29am
That's a stretch for 20 people. Club sandwiches, mince pies, strawberries dipped in chocolate

seafield1, Dec 4, 6:41pm
strawberries are out I think.

lilyfield, Dec 4, 6:56pm
for the christmassy touch- bake some gingerbread men, adults like them too.

Muffins with a dollop of fruitmince in the middle,well spiced.

sausage rolls are soooo passé

beebs, Dec 4, 7:54pm
scones (sweet and savoury), muffins, sausage rolls and maybe your favourite square

seniorbones, Dec 5, 1:23am
fresh asparagus rolls, blanch the asparagus butter the bread and sprinkle over cheese (cut the crust off) place an asparagus and roll like normal secure brush with melted butter and a little cheese if you want bake orgrill in oven. You can add anything like grainy mustard with the butter. They are yummy! and you can get them ready ealier just cover with a damp towel or muslin. Chicken rolls are nice too, mix cooked chopped up chicken with you favourite mayo again add any flavouring to it like mustard, spring onions and roll them up too cut in half so they are just about one mouthful. and I have done these the night before covered with a damp cloth and kept in the fridge, take out earlier to take the chill off.

seniorbones, Dec 5, 1:24am
just read the other posts, sausage rolls are ok just make them small so again one bite and sprinkle with sesame seeds before baking so they look a bit fancier, serve with a chilli or mustard sauce rather than tomato, although the tuimato sauce is devine and I hide it so hubby doesnt eat it or it would be gone in 2 servings! with me it lasts for months

seafield1, Dec 5, 4:58am
Your tomato sauce monster sounds like mine, all 15 years of him. The chicken rolls sound great so I will try those. Have small sones on the list already and I might do some macroons if the chooks will lay for me tonight.

seafield1, Dec 5, 4:59am
Like the other ideas too. Many thanks, will ask 15 year old to do the ginger crunch as the slice

ruby19, Dec 5, 5:21am
piklets topped with jam & cream, make your own bruchetta, and top with a little basil pesto slice of tomato and a fine shaving of parmesan, or a creamy mushroom topping again with a fine shaving of parmesan. make mini corn fritters, could top with a little guacamole.

mistywood, Dec 5, 5:46am
If we went to a morning or afternoon tea WITHOUT sausage rolls, the males in our family (including husband) would not be happy.absolute must I am afraid!

theanimal1, Dec 5, 6:25am
2 punnets for $4.50 at countdown xxx

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 5, 8:31pm
closer to christmas strawberries normally go down to at least 3 for $5

seafield1, Dec 6, 9:58am
No men invited, but the resident teenage man will no doubt appear when the oven door opens. LOL

seafield1, Dec 6, 10:04am
Yes I have been keeping an eye out, unfortunately we are buoycotting the local green grocer as they ripped us off selling us a box of rotten strawberries we ordered for a party, so I can't go there. (We ordered 1st grade) and when I went back they wouldn't replace them.

seafield1, Dec 6, 10:07am
Thanks for this too, I was thinking of doing zucchini fritters with thai sweet sauce which is nice too