Help with recipe for bulk bikkies.

deerhunter1962, Dec 4, 8:17am
I followed the recipe to a t they were really discusting, what did i do wrong
here is the recipe, i throught it was a bit too much s r flour see what you think. Is there anyway i could get rid of the soda taste, ive added more sugar, and coco that made it worse,any ideas, its a shame to waste such a big amount of batter,
Basic biscuit mixture:
1 cup sugar
500g margarine
1 tin condensed milk
5c SR cups flour
Preheat your oven on to 180°C and grease a large baking tray. Put your margarine and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until it is pale and creamy. Add your condensed milk and flour to the bowl and mix together well. You can add any of your own extra ingredients too at this point, if using. Stir until well combined.

Roll your mixture into teaspoon-sized balls and place on your greased baking tray. Press down gently on the biscuits with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

That’s all there is to it. We challenge you to find a more economical recipe anywhere! However, the real beauty of the bulk biscuit recipe is its flexibility.

cgvl, Dec 4, 8:20am
did you add eggs to this mix, I would hazard a guess that you would use about 3 eggs for that amount of flour.

deerhunter1962, Dec 4, 8:22am
Well thats what i throught but that recipe is cut and pasted from the net

deerhunter1962, Dec 4, 8:25am
I take SR means self rising flour! that really buggard every thing up as i had to have baking done for my sons camp tomorrow and it turned out like yukky baking soday bikkies, so ive just given him a brought packet of bikkies now.

cgvl, Dec 4, 8:41am
yes SR does mean self raising flour.
trying to think if I have a recipe for bulk biscuits.

cgvl, Dec 4, 8:45am
I would have added 3-4 eggs to that mix and some choc chips.
Or you could have left out the condensed milk added the eggs and another cup of sugar and sultana's, another option would have been to again leave out the condensed milk and add ½ cup cocoa powder and 2 cups peanuts as well as the eggs.

juliewn, Dec 4, 8:45am
I make a similar recipe. adding baking powder to flour, rather than self-raising flour, as I don't like the flavour self-raising flour gives. The condensed milk replaces eggs in the recipe.

Mix together 500g soft (not melted) butter, and 1 & 1/4 cups sugar (use brown sugar if you want the biscuits to be slightly caramel flavoured).
Mix in the contents of one tin of sweetened condensed milk.
Sift and add 6 cups flour and 6 tsp baking powder and mix well together - a wooden spoon or your hands is easiest.
Divide the dough into separate bowls if you want, and add extras to suit.
Roll into balls and place them onto baking paper covered cold oven trays and press down with your fingers or the bottom of a glass that has been dipped lightly into flour.
Bake at 180°C for about 10-12 minutes or till just beginning to change colour.

Variations - after mixing everything together, divide the dough into 3 or 4 separate bowls if you want, and add extras to suit.
Add 1/2 to 1 cup of any of the following to each bowl: sultanas, raisins, currants, craisins, chopped glacé cherries, crystallised ginger or chopped dates etc., coconut, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, peanuts, etc.
Place a nut (almonds or walnuts are good) or a chocolate button on top of each biscuit.
Don't press the balls down. use your finger to make a slight hollow in the centre top, and place 1/2 tsp of your favourite jam in the hollow before baking.
When sifting the flour, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cocoa or 1 to 2 teaspoons of coffee powder.
Add finely grated lemon or orange rind to the mix with the butter and sugar.
Try other options you'd like to.

Hope this helps.

destiny6nz, Dec 5, 1:26am
or could use caramel flavoured sweetened condensed milk

deerhunter1962, Dec 5, 7:44am
Wow destiny thats a brillant idea, never throught of that thanks. and juliewn thanks i shall try that,