Banana cake rage

rossarah, Dec 4, 1:20am
Why does everyone else make banana cakes that are lovely and dark inside, and mine are always PALE like a spongecake!

I've tried more banana, less banana, REALLY old banana, not so old banana.
Tried brown sugar vs white sugar
Everything is creamed and sifted properly.

Anyone else encountered this or know how to fix it!

retired, Dec 4, 1:23am
x1
I always make this one:

GARY RHODES’ BANANA BREAD CAKE
You can top this with nuts before you bake but not really necessary.
MAKES 1 x 900 g (2 lb) Loaf
3 Large Ripe Bananas (over ripe are even better)
225 g (8 oz) Self Raising Flour
175 g (6 oz) Castor Sugar
100 g (4 oz) Butter
2 Eggs
2Tablespoons Golden Syrup OR Black Treacle
A Pinch of Salt

PREHEAT OVEN TO 150C.

Mash bananas until smooth.Beat in all the remaining ingredients until completely combined.Can do this in a food mixer or processor.

Spoon the mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake for 1.1/2 hours until risen and firm to touch.

Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before turning out of the tin.

EXTRA:Can melt chocolate for topping or the ultimate finish… serve with Vanilla Ice-Cream and Chocolate Sauce

freedreamz, Dec 4, 1:42am
*free runs out of thread holding her freshly baked banana cake*
I just use the edmonds book, nothing sieved, about that measurements, sorry cant help here, I think I just fluke things

kinna54, Dec 4, 2:02am
I use the edmonds book too,(never fails 4 me) but usually add extra bananas,if it says 2 I use at least 4, unless they're really big, and I use my bananas straight from the freezer. Keeps the cake moist.
Could it be your baking soda, that often darkens the mix, and are you adding that to your boiling milk to get the froth action!
Also are you overcooking!I always err on the side of under cooking rather than overcooking, and check oven temp.
That's all I can think of ; hope it is of some help.
Best wishes for the next effort.

davidt4, Dec 4, 2:05am
Does your recipe include baking soda!That darkens the colour.

monkey_room, Dec 4, 5:23am
I make the best banana cake, which is pale and has no baking soda in it. I ice it with a lemon butter icing and everyone LOVES this cake without exception. It is a moist mix that never fails.

sunshine78, Dec 4, 8:37am
bung it in the freezer directly from oven (obv on a board or something!) for an hour.makes it super moist and yum.

billie-jo, Dec 4, 11:36pm
its actually 2 CUPS of mashed banana not just 2 bananas

rossarah, Dec 5, 1:20am
Why does everyone else make banana cakes that are lovely and dark inside, and mine are always PALE like a spongecake!

I've tried more banana, less banana, REALLY old banana, not so old banana.
Tried brown sugar vs white sugar
Everything is creamed and sifted properly.

Anyone else encountered this or know how to fix it!

I should add, changing the recipe doesn't make a lick of difference

rj5, Dec 5, 7:08am
wholemeal flour is nice in it and makes it browner too

tinkagirl, Dec 5, 7:24am
As long as it tastes like banana cake what does it matter the colour!

mackenzie2, Dec 5, 7:23pm
I always make my banana cake with black banana's that have been in the freezer, it makes the cake sweeter and the colour darker.

kassie48, Dec 5, 7:30pm
Edmonds recipe,3 bananas from freezer, iced with real lemon juice icing. Haven't tried the Lemon Icing Sugar yet.
Like tinkagirl says, tastes good etc

lx4000, Dec 5, 7:36pm
I use this one but double it.
I use canola oil.
The funny thing is, I made it yesterday and when I went into a draw to get some glad wrap out, there was the 1 cup measuring cup! hehehe I made it using the 3/4 cup instead of the 1 cup! Turned out good as! . . . Thank goodness!

Oh and yes to the frozen black bananas in the freezer:)

accroul, Dec 5, 9:38pm
I used to use a recipe out of an old american book - until I found out that DH didn't actually like banana cake. Now I can probably get rid of the book because I only kept it for that recipe!

kassie48, Dec 6, 6:54am
Never bake recipes using oil

muddler, Dec 6, 10:22pm
this is mine, I use it with a little cocoa added,and it is great for banana choc muffins also, just lessen cooking time.
Lizzies versatile banana cake. 125 gms butter,1 Cup sugar, 1 egg, 3 Tb warm milk, 1&1/2 C flour,(minus 1Tflourif adding 1 T cocoa). 1 t baking soda,2 mashed bananas, 1&1/2t Baking powder.
cream butter & sugar,add egg, beat well, dissolve soda in milk,add.then add mashed bananas. lastly fold in flour baking powder and cocoa.bake moderate oven 35-45 mins, ice when cold with chocolate icing if you used cocoa or lemon icing.

muddler, Dec 8, 12:23am
also if your bananas are a little too new add some vanilla extract.

lythande1, Dec 30, 6:56pm
Freeze the bananas, then thaw and use them. No need for anything else - that's what will do it. And use at least 3 large or 4 small.

sathan81, Dec 31, 4:32am
i always thought it was the baking soda dissolved in hot milk which makes the cake browner

buzzy110, Dec 31, 5:33am
I gotta admit my banana cakes, which were always delicious, were a mix of pale yellow cake with black banana seeds. I liked them like that as they were light and delicious. I've never lusted after a darker cake at all.

So my suggestion is not to worry about it. The light colour just proves that you have made a light, airy, banana cake imo and that is the most important thing ever.