Does Macoroni cheese Freeze well!

tommydog, Dec 2, 5:24am
Just wondering how well mac Cheese freezes and how well it tastes if you Microwave it back to life.And if so can anyone give a really good Mac&Cheese recipe if they would be so kind.

jns, Dec 2, 7:45am
I make it up to freeze for lunches.I reheat it in the microwave on 50% power and is always good.I don't really use a recipe, just do it off the top of my head.I do make the sauce a bit runnier than usual if I'm making it to freeze, then it's good when it's reheated, otherwise it tends to be a bit thick.Hope this helps.

tommydog, Dec 2, 8:09am
Thanks for the advice jns very much appreciated.Love everyone else to put their 20 cents in as well if they feel inclined.

dwyn5, Dec 2, 8:18am
x1
I have never frozen it.Thanks jns for the tips.
My recipe - boil macaroni
Into another pot cut some bacon into pieces, knob of butter, and finely sliced spring onion.Gentle heat until bacon cooked.Add half tablespoon of flour and stir.Add milk a bit at a time until mixture is the amount and thickness you want (just like white sauce with bits in it) a couple of shakes of pepper and half teaspoon of mustard, then take off heat.

Add grated tasty cheese, stir until blended in with the sauce.Add drained and rinsed macaroni.
Put the whole lot into casserole dish, lay sliced tomato on top, then a light sprinkling of breadcrumbs, grated cheese, and a bit more breadcrumbs.

Into oven (about 180 degrees) to brown the top until crunchy.

kinna54, Dec 2, 9:33am
I have frozen it but I make more of a pasta bake style with bacon and herbs, as in the above post, and the crunchy breadcrumb and tasty cheese topping as well. Yes the sauce does need to be a bit runnier, as the pasta soaks it up. Make sure the pasta is only cooked "just to the bite" otherwise it will go a bit stodgy.
Dare I say it seems to be better with the pkt sauce as that doesn't contain as much milk . (I use that on some ocassions, *the one made with boiling water only* as it doesn't seem to affect the lactose intolerant tummy of family member as much as homemade does.) Anyway it freezes fine.

punkinthefirst, Dec 2, 10:42am
Yes. I live on my own, so make a large mac.cheese from time to time, leave it to cool and solidify, then wrap individual portions in bags or gladwrap and freeze them. Reheat in the microwave, and, if you want a crunchy top, grill, briefly in the oven.

desprtehouswife, Dec 5, 7:29pm
I used to make up HUGE batches of it, put it into large casserole dishes, coat in breadcrumbs and grated cheese., gladwrap and freeze. Then just pop in oven to reheat. Freezes great!

dixiechicks, Dec 6, 1:35am
Sure does freeze well, do it all the time.I make the cheese sauce then add cooked bacon and fresh tomatoes which have been peeled and chopped up.Topping I mix grated cheese with breadcrumbs.Yum

mr-and-mrs, Dec 6, 1:43am
I freeze it and when I reheat I add a little milk so the pasta doesn't dry out

nzl99, Dec 6, 2:44am
Yes. make the sauce thinner though.The pasta sucks up the moisture in my experience.