Pizza dough using wholemeal flour!

mattdylan, Dec 2, 3:01am
Anyone have a good recipe for wholemeal pizza dough! is it much difference in taste! Thanks

uli, Dec 2, 3:10am
Depends what sort of wholemeal - if it is the normal supermarket variety then it will taste very "rustic" as that is simply white flour mixed with bran.

If it is from a health food shop and sits in the fridge there then it is most likely stone ground whole flour and should be fine enough to make a nice dough.

I used to always use freshly ground durum wheat (by my own flour mill) and it is very nice and nutty. But nothing is worse than old rancid wholemeal flour.

You can use any yeast recipe you like, but use a bit more water, as the wholemeal needs more. After kneading and rising punch the dough down and put it (covered) into the fridge until you need it. It will last for about 5 days. It won't rise thick and fluffy but make a lovely thin and crispy crust.

mattdylan, Dec 2, 3:38am
Yes it's wholemal from the supermarket, wow and I never knew it was just white flour with bran! I feel ripped off hehe thanks for your post :0

uli, Dec 2, 3:43am
Freshly ground wholemeal flour would go rancid in a week or two - the supermarket needs a longer shelf life for its "products" (let's not call it food). So that is why you basically get a "sanitized" version of wholemeal where the germ (which is fatty) is removed and you end up with the bran and the starchy middle bit which will keep for years.

You can still use it, but it will not really be "pizza", especially as it will not be high grade flour, so the gluten content will be low and you won't be able to stretch the dough very thin.

mattdylan, Dec 2, 3:49am
OK Thanks - do you know where to buy semollina! Im not sure of the spelling but it's used in pizzas!

Thanks

uli, Dec 2, 3:51am
You get semolina in every supermarket. Usually near the custard powder.

ant_sonja, Dec 2, 3:55am
I have bought semolina from New World supermarkets but they only carry the fine stuff. I use it to make dumplings in soup and sometimes add a little to pizza dough. I can get good quality flour(s) from our local organic store, but needs to be kept refrigerated.

tony473, Dec 3, 5:08am
Binn Inn's have a wide varity of drygoods.