Slow Cookers ? ?

happyelf, Mar 28, 6:47am
Just wondering if slow cookers are worth the hype? I am considering purchasing one so that dinner can be ready when I come home from work, but to be honest am a bit concerned about leaving it bubbling away all day. Any advice/input appreciated. Thanks.

jamjars05, Mar 28, 6:51am
awesome, we do roast chicken, beef, pork, stews, casseroles. .

calista, Mar 28, 7:55am
My slow cooker is one of my favourite appliances - up there with the fridge, toaster and electric jug.

I am willing to be corrected, but I have never heard of a sc causing a house fire, but you could always plug it into a plug board with surge protection if you were concerned. I sit mine on a wooden bread board in the middle of the stainless steel bench, (what me paranoid? )

Having said that, most all day cooking is done on a low setting so it isn't like having the oven or a stove element on while you are away.

puggy13, Mar 28, 8:10am
GREAT! ! ! ! they are awesome for winter! ! Stews and casserole's are yummo!

harrislucinda, Mar 28, 8:24am
yeswortheverypennymakeslovely ricepuds aswell

tapuwer, Mar 28, 8:24am
I have 2, ! for dinner/soups and the other for puddings(have a large family so have to make self saucing pudding in it )

haventrader, Mar 28, 8:29am
I bought one on Saturday morning and made a brilliant casserole the same day! Will be used extensively over winter for sure! Not disappointed.

racingroo, Mar 28, 8:50am
Definately one of my favourite and most used kitchen appliances! ! ! ! ! Cornbeef tonight in ours! ! !

duckmoon, Mar 28, 9:05am
I got mine when I had my first baby. I loved it, because the baby was settled at 10am - when I would put dinner on; but grumpy at 4pm when I wanted to start preparing for dinner.

The crockpot was my life saver (or maybe her life saver).

They use about as much power as a light bulb

duckmoon, Mar 28, 9:06am
I use it more in winte, r and rarely in summer

1buzemum, Mar 28, 9:07am
I like my crockpot so much I have 2, one cooking tea other soup or pudding

doug57, Mar 28, 10:20am
My sister was like you. . she had one for YEARS stashed in the cupboard because of her nervousness of leaving it on all day while she was out! I'm glad to say within the last year she's see the light and now uses it. . not as much as me tho'. . I *love* my crockpots [have 2 of them] Borrow the 2 slow cooker recipe books by Alison & Simon Holst from the library or a friend. . check out all the recipes in this forum. . you won't regret getting one. You just need to be brave and start using it!
{I always use mine on a breadboard :) }

nzhel, Mar 28, 10:47am
You'll never regret getting one - they are so good and you can cook a variety of foods in them - not only casseroles etc. I've made Alison Holst's Carrot Cake crockpot recipe and its really nice. You can do vegie and fruit recipes, soups, rice - heaps of things! I usually stand my on my ceramic oven top as I used to worry about it being on all day - but they are very safe. Hope you decide to get one!

baalamb, Mar 28, 7:20pm
I agree with everyone else on here - there is nothing like getting home on a cold winters day, opening the door and smelling your dinner already cooked! Corned beef is beautiful cooked in it too - it doesnt seem to shrink quite as much as it does when boiled in a pot. Would definitely recommend buying one!

dairymaid, Mar 29, 1:13am
Go for it had mind for years, as I work 4-6 days a week it a life saver in the winter for our meals but also in the summer for cooking chicken or silverside and cornedbeef just great all you need to do when I get home is the salad or someveges you will wonder why you have no used it before

a_n_h, Mar 29, 1:27am
i love mine too. although i need to upgrade to a bigger one and will keep the smaller one for the pumpkin soup i make during winter and just have it on so hungry, cold, wet hubby can come and grab some as soon as he walks in and its there for the rest of the day for snacking on.

squeakygirl, Mar 29, 1:31am
Wouldn't be without it! !

uli, Mar 29, 4:17am
So you have 300W light bulbs around the house? ?

This is a myth that is recurring on this message board since years. I had a look on my crockpots when I first read about the light bulb myth and found that my small one has 300W and the big one 450W.

Then you run it for about 6 to 8 hours and end up with about as much electricity used as your normal standard electric oven would cook the meal in, as it would cook much faster.

It is the convenience to have dinner on early in the day and not having to do everything at night in a rush that makes the crockpot so popular - but you are NOT saving on electricity.

lindylambchops1, Mar 29, 4:17am
Slow cookers are worry free cooking. Just have to be a bit organised with preparation. Like making sure meat is unfrozen when required. I just leave mine all day simmering away. Whole chicken roasts beautifully, so tender & succulent. Casseroles are tender & tasty. We also cook stewed dried mixed fruit in it for winter breakfasts. I wouldn't be without mine. I also have two one is considerably smaller & both get used regularly. They are awesome!

speedy_11, Mar 29, 4:39am
I love mine! Gotta admit though it does worry me leaving something "going" when I am not home.

The resident foodhogs favourite crockpot meal is chilli con carne, I can come home at lunchtime with groceries, throw it all in the crockpot and when we get home again at 7ish, I zap some frozen mash, or serve it with corn chips or in burittos with salad.

I adore corned silverside from the crockpot.

wino3, Mar 29, 5:56am
Slow cookers are the very best way to cook stews and casseroles, mince and corned beef IMO. Chicken also comes out yummy though not crispy skinned and soups are great too (have just made and frozen pumpkin soup and have a leek and potato and bacon soup slow cooking now)

tabby1, Mar 29, 6:53am
Anyone tried lamb shanks in a slow cooker. I bought a slow cooker a while back with idea of having meals ready when I get home from work. Wanted to try it out, but no driving instructions... ... ... ... ...

mango5, Mar 29, 6:55am
you should go to votemenot, and find the old crockpot thread, it has so many dishes in there including lambshanks. Put it in your favourites.

mango5, Dec 15, 3:04am
better still, here it is

http://archive. votemenot.co.nz/thread/8582590/crockpot-recip
es/