Cottage cheese & Filo pastry!

worldlee, Dec 1, 8:23am
I have these two items about to pass their use by date and think maybe there is a recipe combining them to use them quickly.Any ideas folks! Otherwise, just what can I make with filo! Bought it with no idea in mind - its called experimenting but didnt get very far!

elliehen, Dec 1, 8:47am
FILO SPINACH (OR SILVERBEET) PIE(serves 4)
1 bunch spinach or silverbeet, finely sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 eggs
125 gms cottage cheese (half a 250gm pottle)
25 to 50 gms feta cheese crumbled
50 gms cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp dried dill or 1/2 tsp dill seeds
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
a LITTLE salt (feta can be salty) & good grind of black pepper
handful of parsely, chopped
4 sheets filo pastry
4 tsp butter or oil for brushing (or cooking oil spray)

Steam spinach and onion for about 5 mins
Beat eggs, add cottage cheese, feta & cheddar cheese
Add steamed onion & spinach, dill, nutmeg, s & p and parsley
Pour into ovenproof dish (I use 20cms square pan for four servings)
Layer the filo sheets on top of the mix, lightly brushing each with oil or butter, turning over excess flaps at edges
Sprinkle with sesame seeds
Bake at 180*C for 30-40 mins.Can cover dish with foil for last ten minutes to stop filo burning

Source: Adapted slightly from Carolyn Gibson

Variation:Leeks & blue cheese, instead of onion & feta

ladeda, Dec 1, 8:54am
Yum, that sounds nice. Must try it when I'm back from holiday.

Saw the ad on TV for cottage cheese lasagne that also looks nice - very similar to the spinach/ricotta stuffed cannaloni baked in a pasta sauce.

I make my own ricotta just by heating milk to 85deg C then adding 1/3 cup lemon juice (per 2L) and herbs. Strain in cheesecloth or muslin and hang overnight.

elliehen, Dec 1, 8:58am
Not going to Nepal by any chance!

worldlee, Dec 1, 9:08am
Thanks elliehen.I think I will try both ideas tomorrow - have a laden lemon tree in garden! Dont have a temp guage though!Mmm that blue cheese sounds great too.I even have that in fridge,Whats the connection with Nepal, am I missing something!

elliehen, Dec 1, 9:12am
Nothing missed.just a friendly off-topic conversation with ladeda ;)

ladeda, Dec 1, 5:37pm
sorry!you think wrong. Thanku from my deep heaven.

ruby19, Dec 1, 6:03pm
I even just roast some veggies ie pumpkin, red onion, peppers courgette , or what ever you have lurking in the fridge, mix. season, and I usually add rasel al houte (sp) the moroccan spices, I then mix the cottage cheese feta and roasted veggies, with some spinach and make into filo parcels.