Shortbread Recipe Please

bexta021, Dec 1, 1:59am
Does anyone have a nice shortbread recipe that i can use to make into shapes for xmas gifts!

tasmum, Dec 1, 2:12am
Just use the Edmonds recipie. Always use this and it's never failed me.

elliehen, Dec 1, 2:18am
CLASSIC SHORTBREAD
Source:'Anyone Can Bake' - Annabel Langbein

250gm butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 & 3/4 cups high-grade flour
1/4 cup custard powder

Preheat oven to 150*C and line trays with baking paper.Cream butter and sugar.Add all other ingredients and mix until mixture forms a ball.Press dough out into a slab, wrap in baking paper or cling wrap, and chill about 30 minutes.Roll out dough on a floured bench to 1cm thickness and make shapes with a cutter.Place on baking trays and bake 30 minutes or until pale golden.Cool ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container.Makes about 30.

Will keep in an airtight container for several weeks.

(Peek in the oven after 20 minutes.don't burn!)

elliehen, Dec 1, 2:20am
This is the one I make.

CONNIE'S SHORTBREAD(old Scottish recipe)

8 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
10 oz flour
2 oz cornflour

Cream butter and sugar.Add lemon juice.Sift and add flour and corn flour.Mix and roll into two long logs.Chill in fridge for 10 minutes.Slice into rounds and place on baking paper on cold oven tray.Prick with a fork.

Bake for 5 minutes at 180*C then 10+ minutes at 150*C.

Watch them like a hawk - as soon as they start to colour, they're done.Don't let them brown.

pickles7, Dec 1, 2:36am
Shortbread .Large lot.
cream 500 grams of butter with
250 grams of icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla,
1/2 tsp salt. add
750 grams sifted flour in 3 lots.
You can roll and cut into shapes, or I prefer to make cylinders of the mix, wrap in glad wrap, chill in fridge, and slice 1cm thick. put on tray and stamp with a floured pototoe masher, leaves a nice pattern. 150 deg c, untill cooked. Nice and keeps well.

kinna54, Dec 1, 2:38am
I use this recipe often with cutters. Just the good old edmonds recipe *giving credit where it's due* but easy and reliable, always a success.

Shrewsbury Biscuits*(adapted for making in the kitchen whizz)*
125g butter softened (or margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TBSP grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
Raspberry jam (to fill if desired)

Place butter and sugar in the whizz and cream together.
Add egg and lemon rind and whizz again to combine.
Add sifted flour and baking powder, using the machine on pulsewhile the mixture is combining.
Turn onto a floured board, kneadlightly and roll out to about 4mm thickness
Note: roll out part of the mix at a time, as it’s much easier to handle., and over handling can toughen the mixture.
Cut out desired shapes withcookie cutters.

Bake on greased oven trays at 180 deg. for 10-15mins.
When cold biscuits can either be sandwiched together with raspberry jam, with the top biscuit dusted with sifted icing sugar, or biscuits can be left single and dusted with sifted icing sugar.

elliehen, Dec 1, 2:38am
Bottom of a cut glass tumbler makes a nice pattern too, pickles.

rosiemoodle, Dec 6, 6:53am
I remember mum used to use a cotton reel.

bexta021, Dec 6, 7:47am
Thankyou everyone for your suggestions.I have made the Annabel Langbein recipe and they turned out delicious. So my husband says!

willyow, Dec 6, 10:42pm
Whatever the recipe - it always needs vanilla extract or the seeds from a vanilla pod.

bev00, Dec 16, 10:54am
Shortbread - I always use the recipe from my the Bero (British flour brand name) book.
250g plain flour,75g caster sugar, 175g butter. Mix flour & sugar and rub in butter. Knead to a smooth paste. Roll out and cut into fingers or rounds or any shape you wish. Put on a prepared baking tray and bake @ 160 C for 20-25 minutes.

I make this in my foodprocessor, just put everything in together and process, continue as in recipe. Sometimes I use 200g flour and 50g rice flour. I lke the end result.

Quotenauru (117 )4:03 pm, Fri 16 Dec #2