Vile recipes I have found

Page 1 / 2
brooksy1, Dec 1, 1:11am
Recently I came across some recipes that in this day and age sound vile.Here is the first one; I'm sure there are other out there so why not add them :-)
Calves' Head with Brain Sauce
1. Split the head down the centre
2. Wash carefully and remove the brains
3. Put the head, parsley, mixed herbs and bay leaves into a pan of cold water, just covering the head.
4. Bring to the boil.
5. Remove any scum.
6. Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours.
7. when it is done take out all the meat.
8. Chop this neatly.
9. The tongue can be served seperately or cut into neat fingers and added to the cooked meat when serving.
Brain Sauce
1/2 pint white saucebrains from calves' headseasoning
1. Soak the brains in cold water to which a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar has been added.
2. This will whiten it.
3.Simmer for 15 minutes in salted water.
4. Strain, chop and add to the white sauce.
5. To serve this dish: Arrange the meat from the head on a hot dish.Pour over the brain sauce and garnish with snippets of crisp toast.
Pigs' or sheeps' heads can also be used.

Now doesn't that sound delicious!!

davidt4, Dec 1, 3:33am
Are we allowed to include recipes from this message board!

kassie48, Dec 1, 4:13am
That sounds vile brooksy. Like the recipe on here for calf cheek. I have never heard of such yucky things people eat.

maysept, Dec 1, 4:22am
I was reading a 1960s American cookbook the other day, some of the 'party' dishes they used to make with things like lime jelly and ham, together. We've come a long way, thank goodness.

callofthewild, Dec 1, 4:22am
That actually made me feel like gagging when I read that . LOL Truely horrendous

amiri1, Dec 1, 5:07am
Lol, apart from the brain sauce, it sounded ok. But that's only because I haven't tried brain sauce, who knows, it could be good. It's funny how in our throw away society we've turned so picky. And I'm quite a fussy eater which I curse about quite a lot. :)

doggitt, Dec 1, 5:13am
Urgh! Didn't get past the first few lines.

elliehen, Dec 1, 5:21am
Anyone for clay-baked hedgehog!doggitt!

"The old Romany (gypsy) way to cook a hedgehog is to roll it in clay and bake it in the embers of a bonfire. When ready, the clay is broken open and the spines come away still embedded in it."

nellbee, Dec 1, 5:25am
Once came across a 'children's party' recipe that called for splitting sausages lengthways and filling them with a puree of canned peas. Delicious, apparently.

brooksy1, Dec 1, 6:06am
PLEASE I'd love anyone to add some vile recipes.

kuaka, Dec 1, 6:28am
Gross!

lythande1, Dec 1, 6:38am
Because they used all parts of an animal or an animal we don't find in the supermarket isn't vile.
What I found vile was ancient recipes, this sort of thing:
2 - 4 small to medium-sized fish, gutted & cleaned
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon & ginger
salt to taste

Roast or grill the fish until done. Prepare the sauce by bringing the vinegar & red wine to a boil. Reduce heat, add the spices, then beat in just enough of the bread crumbs to make a smooth, slightly thick sauce.

Most have no real herbs or anything except cinnamon. ick.

. _To make_ HARE SOOP.

Cut the hare into small pieces, wash it and put it into a stew-pan,
with a knuckle of veal; put in it a gallon of water, a little salt; let it stew 'till the gravy be good; fry a
little of the hare to brown the soop; you may put in it some crusts of
write bread among the meat to thicken the soop; put it into a dish,
with a little stew'd spinage, crisp'd bread, and a few forc'd-meat
balls. Garnish your dish with boil'd spinage and turnips, cut it in
thin square slices.

Oh yeah, note the variety of veges and flavours. Not.

Or a posh recipe:
Toasted crusts of king's bread, cleaned almonds, after the grains are removed, bitter pomegranates. All this well crushed and dissolved with an egg white or a broth which isn't greasy. Pass through a sieve and add cinnamon, and ginger and a little sugar. And cook it over a low fire which will be enough.

I think not.

elliehen, Dec 1, 9:03am
Stewed pigeons!From the Middle Ages :)

Source [A Noble Boke off Cookry (Holkham MSS 674), R. Napier (ed.)]: "To mak pegions stewed hew pegions small and put them in an erthen pot then tak erbes and pilled garlike and chope them to gedur and put them in good brothe put ther to whit grece poudur and vergious colour it with saffron and salt it and stew it well and serue it."

elliehen, Dec 1, 9:07am
Buttered beer!

Source [The Good Housewife's Jewell, T. Dawson]: "To make Buttered Beere. Take three pintes of Beere, put five yolkes of Egges to it, straine them together, and set it in a pewter pot to the fyre, and put to it halfe a pound of Sugar, one penniworth of Nutmegs beaten, one penniworth of Cloves beaten, and a halfepenniworth of Ginger beaten, and when it is all in, take another pewter pot and brewe them together, and set it to the fire againe, and when it is readie to boyle, take it from the fire, and put a dish of sweet butter into it, and brewe them together out of one pot into an other."

charlieb2, Dec 1, 9:48am
You go right ahead if you've found vile recipes.Or are they just not to YOUR taste!

survivorr, Dec 1, 4:12pm
LOL!Dare you!

sossie1, Dec 1, 4:29pm
I bet Hugh fearnley whittingstall (spelling!) has that for beakfast

terraalba, Dec 1, 9:40pm
Hubby had to do this when he was in Boys' Brigade,camping trip I think. Yes he did eat it and did not find the tast too bad.

daleaway, Dec 1, 11:24pm
It's personal taste, isn't it!

I find Lolly Cake absolutely disgusting, but to many New Zealanders it is the very elixir of life. That's their prerogative. (They can have my share, with pleasure.)

retired, Dec 1, 11:32pm
When I was young (many moons ago) there was a shop in London that sold cooked sheep's head, brawn, faggots and saveloys.Myself, can't bring myself to eat sausages or anything minced up after seeing what goes in them!

elliehen, Dec 2, 12:40am
Yes,"one man's meat." etc

Talking about it in this generic way enables everyone to name their personal idea of 'vile' without attacking anyone's specific recipe.

I find offal vile, but wouldn't ever post a comment to this effect after someone's prized offal recipe was posted ;)

davidt4, Dec 2, 1:04am
Me too.My share is available to all.

Whenever I hear someone saying that oysters are disgusting I think to my self "all the more for me."

uli, Dec 2, 1:12am
Well I must say the recipes in this thread are actually not vile at all - I would cook them any day I had a head to chop open. The tongue is always kept from my animals and cooked and eaten - and the fish recipe above - well what is vile about that I wonder!

uli, Dec 2, 1:14am
Haha! I can - because I see what goes into them. :)

davidt4, Dec 2, 1:27am
Yeah, that fish recipe looks like a mediaeval set of ingredients and would be perfectly fine to eat.Without the breadcrumbs it is pretty close to an escabeche, which is a delicious way to serve (and preserve) fish.