I have to do a couple of salads for christmas day

libra29, Nov 30, 9:45pm
one is an egg salad but I'm not sure what dressing to use, something simple for plain eaters and also a pasta salad, I was given a rundown of a dressing a few years ago and it turned out lovely, I used a store bought mayo, best foods I think and olive oil, does this sound right and what OO do I use virgin or what! TIA for any help

uli, Nov 30, 9:48pm
I would make my own mayo with herbs and garlic.

Or you can use shop bought mayo (Best foods is the one with the least sugar in it) and thin it with a bit of vinegar and add your own herbs and garlic.

I would add some finely sliced celery for flavour.

holzt, Nov 30, 9:50pm
I do, Mayo, Sour cream and Wholegrain mustard as a base dressing for my pasta salad, I will quite often add abit of EVOO as well.

jillybeans2, Nov 30, 10:22pm
Try a brown rice salad. Colourful and delish.

seniorbones, Nov 30, 10:55pm
I always use a bought store one -best foods- and add other ingred like grainy mustard, curry powder for egg salad, no more oil its sometimes already in there depending on the brand and as uli mentioned thin with vinegar if too thick. Bean salad is always good too just a couple of cans of mixed beans add extra chick peas, cooked green beans, sliced red onion, chopped red pepper and feta cheese it disapears in a flash here! oh and a balsamic vinegarette. I'm getting full thinking about them all! pumpkin and chickpea salad is yummy too.

chooky, Dec 1, 4:14am
I make a very simple egg salad. I tried copying off New World's egg and celery salad, I boil eggs, cut long ways into quarters, cut up celery, mix best foods mayo with curry powder and mis through. Its easy, and very nice. Just boiling eggs now to make for tea tonight.

tarrt, Dec 3, 6:18am
Seniorbones.your recipe for bean salad sounds great, and easy.thanks, going to try it!

juliewn, Dec 3, 12:24pm
Hi. for pasta salad. add a teaspoon of turmeric to the water when cooking the pasta - it'll give a bright yellow colour that looks great. I prefer to cook the pasta the day before - or several hours before, so it's well chilled when I make the salad.

I add finely sliced red onion or shallot, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, some currants or raisins, chopped parsley or chives, sliced red capsicum - any colour is fine - the combination of yellow pasta, red capsicum and green parsley is colourful.

Add anything less you'd like.

For a dressing, I toss a couple of teaspoons of canola oil through (I prefer that, though olive oil is fine too), enough to just give a bit of a shine to the pasta - then I toss vinegar through - I use either white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Season to taste. and chill.

buzzy110, Dec 3, 7:20pm
If you must use store bought mayo then buy Real. It has eggs, vinegar and oil in it, just like a mayo should have.

For what it is worth I like my food unadulterated when I am out and have found that often a large bowl of plain, boiled, peeled eggs is often much more popular than salad.