Pumpkin Soup/or Pie recipe

marlin9, Mar 28, 6:16am
Have a lot of pumpkin in the freezer so has anybody got a recipe for Pumpkin soup (crockpot one would be great) that does not have a tin or packet of Pumpkin soup put in it. I would also like to get a Pumpkin Pie recipe (used to get a lovely pumpkin pie when we visited Tauranga many years ago and would love to make one for myself.

vintagekitty, Mar 28, 7:12am
Pumpkin and coriander soup

This is nice and just a little bit different

Ingredients
•2 tsp vegetable oil
•2 tsp ground coriander
•2 tsp ground cumin
•1/2 tsp ground turmeric
•1 onion, chopped
•1 celery stick, chopped
•1. 5 kg pumpkin, chopped
•2 1/2 cups chicken stock
•1 cup light coconut milk
Coriander Paste
•1 cup fresh coriander leaves
•1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
•1 tblsp grated ginger
•1 tsp caster sugar

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the spices and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, without browning. Add the onion, celery and pumpkin and stir for 2 minutes to coat the vegetables in the spice mixture. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender. Allow to cool slightly.

2. Puree the mixture in batches in a food processor until smooth. Return to the pan, stir in the coconut milk, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and reheat gently. If too thick, stir in a little extra stock.

3. To make the coriander paste, finely chop the coriander and mint leaves. Combine in a bowl with the ginger and sugar. Spoon a little on top of the soup and stir through to add flavour,

1buzemum, Mar 28, 9:21am
Simple pumpkin soup

peal and chop pumpkin and a couple off kumera put in pot with chicken stock, salt and pepper and boil till soft.

Fry onion Garlic and bacon put little curry.
When Pumpkin and Kumera are cooked mash/wizz till creamy, add bacon and onion let simmer so flavors mingle

jase320, Mar 28, 9:27am
Pumpkin Soup
Ingredients:
1 pumpkin, diced

1 potato, diced

1 onion, diced

2 cups chicken stock

1 can skim evaporated milk

1 tablespoon butter

Preparation:
Saute onions in the butter. Add stock, pumpkin & potato. Cook until tender. Blend in a food processor until smooth, add desired amount of evaporated milk, blend. Serve hot! ! !

I s'pose you could chuck all this in the crockpot on low/high if you wanted? ! ?

theanimal1, Mar 28, 9:46am
Crock Pot Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients 1oz (30g) butter 2lb (1kg) Pumpkin – peeled and cut into inch square pieces 1 medium onion 2 cloves stuck into the onion 2 tspn sugar salt to taste – pinch 2½ cup Chicken Stock 1 cup Milk Method 1. Place butter and pumpkin in crock pot and put onto high. When butter has melted, stir to coat pumpkin and cook for 1 hour on high. (If in hurry, just wait for butter to melt, stir and go to step 2 ignore the hour cooking – still turns out great just slightly less intense flavour). 2. Add onion, sugar, salt and stock. Cover and cook for 8-9 hours on Low OR 4-5 hours on High. 3. When ready to serve, remove the onion. 4. Puree soup in a blender or use a hand held device. 5. Add milk, to achieve correct consistency. (DO NOT add milk if intending on freezing – just freeze as is. Can add milk when thawed). 6. Serve with a sprinkling of Nutmeg and a dollop of sour cream

bananna15, Mar 28, 10:57am
chop up 1 medium sized pumpkin,
2-3 kumura,
4-5 stalks of celery,
about 3 onions
2 tspns crushed chilli or lots of cracked pepper.

put them into a pot and just cover with water. simmer until veges are soft and mushy and stir in 2 TBSPNS peanut butter (i use crunchy). you can either mash til smooth or put through a blender. then put back on heat and simmer away till you get the desired consistancy.

this freezes well and tastes better the next day for some reason

lanceandkathrin, Apr 20, 12:30am
Pumpkin Pie

3 cups of steamed mashed pumpkin
1/2 cup of brown sugar
200ml cream
2 eggs
1tsp each ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice
1 sheet sweet shortcrust pastry

Line a deep-ish pie dish with the pastry and blind bake at 180 degrees for about 20mins or until golden.
Meanwhile mix cream, eggs, sugar and spices. Add mashed, cooled pumpkin. Pour mixture on top of the pie crust and bake for about 30-40mins until the mixture has set.
Cool slightly and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Delicious!

cookessentials, Apr 20, 12:34am
Taken from the recipe section on our website
Joyce's Traditional Pumpkin Pie
This recipe has been in our family for over fourty years.
It was given to my Mother by a friend of hers who had lived in Canada and was married to a Canadian. The evaporated milk is traditionally used in American pumpkin pie and it makes an extremely delicious and easy to make dessert.
Ingredients:
500g pumpkin, peeled and cooked till tender
2 eggs
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mace
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
375ml can evaporated milk
Method:
Mix pumpkin, eggs, sugar, salt & spices in a food processor, wizz until well combined. Add flour and lastly add milk. Prepare a sweet short pastry ( I cheat and buy a frozen Irvine's pastry from the supermarket! ) into a greased, deep 23 cm pie dish. Bake at 200C for 35-40 minutes. Serve cold with whipped cream.

levintofu, Apr 20, 12:38am
the pumpkin you find at the supermarket here is not the kind we use for pumpkin pie in the states (infact most people use canned pumpkin) it ends up being to soggy and not starchy enough.
trust me after half a dozen thanksgivings/xmas and other occasions that call for pumpkin pie we gave up and got family to send the canned stuff...

gavin166, Apr 20, 12:48am
Add cooked bacon rashers to basic recipe, or coconut cream, sweet chili sauce and fresh coriander.

levintofu, Apr 20, 1:53am
drool... . mmmMMmmm pumpkin and bacon :P... . .

cookessentials, Apr 20, 2:47am
Interesting comment as the pumpkin loaves I make ( American recipe) also call for canned pumpkin and I have only ever used fresh pumpkin for these and the pumpkin pie above and they are just fine.

fruitluva2, Feb 16, 4:08pm
Here are some more options for pumpkin pie

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=21&t=158