Cocoa 'may contain traces of gluten'

celosia, Nov 26, 10:34pm
is that safe to use when making gluten free chocolate chip biscuits!

245sam, Nov 26, 11:28pm
celosia, I'm not GF but if you want to be 100% sure that the biscuits are gluten free thenIMO you need to use cocoa that is gluten free with no possibility of "traces of gluten".
I believe it really depends on the biscuit consumer and whether or not he/she can tolerate "traces of gluten" or if his/her food needs to be absolutely gluten free.

Hope that helps.:-))

celosia, Nov 27, 12:16am
thanks 245sam, yes I'm of the same opinion actually.As this is for a Christmas Gift (baking) for people from the UK to enjoy when here, I might have to find out a little bit more info from them. Thanks for your help.

very_hotpants, Nov 30, 9:33am
Hi - can you post the recipie for the cookies please - My 4 yr old is GF and I am putting together a GF recipie set to replace my non GF.

nfh1, Nov 30, 9:41am
I would not use for someone who is Coeliac.They only need the slightest trace of gluten to trigger a response.OK for someone who is just avoiding gluten I suppose.

aw217, Nov 30, 10:16am
Try this recipe from Annabel Lanbine (spelling right!)
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
500 gButter
1 cupSugar
6 TBSNCondensed Milk
Few Drops Vanilla- no colour 150
4 ½ CupFlour -GF
4 tspBaking Powder-GF
500 gEnergy Chocolate (roughly chopped into chunks)
• Beat the Butter and Sugar until creamy
• Beat in the Condensed Milk and Vanilla.
• Stir in Dry ingredients and Chocolate.
• Chill for about 20 minutes.
• Roll into balls and place onto cold greased trays, allowing room to flatten.
• Flatten with the palm of your hand.
• Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 170c.
• Cool, Makes about 70.

willyow, Nov 30, 5:45pm
If you want assurance of Gluten freecocoa - then you could usePremium Dutch cocoa ( available on Trademe)which contains justPURE cocoa and no fillers.
It's also much stronger so you don't have to use as much,and it tastes twice as nice too. One teaspoon makes a cup of cocoa - but it doesn't taste like cocoa, it tastes like chocolate.

pommyjohn1, Nov 30, 7:20pm
Trade Aid do a gluten free drinking chocolate, cocoa is not GF