chicken and corn soup, asian style in slow cooker

rocklover, Mar 28, 2:05am
you know the standard chciken and corn soup, using chicken frames, does anyone have a recipe for the slow cooker? i have googled, but all the recipes have veges and pasta in them, so a different type of soup

theanimal1, Mar 28, 3:15am
chicken and corn soup

Ingredients:
3 cups chicken broth
1 can (8. 25 oz) creamed corn
1 cup cooked diced chicken (skinned and boned)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Combine chicken broth, corn, and chicken pieces in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Blend cornstarch with cold water and add to soup. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 3 minutes.

Beat egg whites until foamy; stir into soup. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until foamy. Ladle soup into individual bowls and garish with parsley. Serve hot.

theanimal1, Mar 28, 3:18am
damn you wanted it for the slow cooker, sorry i didn't read that bit lol

jase320, Mar 28, 3:22am
I s'pse you could do these in the crockpot

Chinese Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup 1
Ingredients:
1 packet of Continental chicken noodle soup
1 cup of shredded cooked chicken (use leftover bbq chicken or 1 cooked chicken breast)
4 eggs beaten
1 litre of cold water
1 x 420g can of creamed corn
3 tablespoons of dried chives

Preparation:
Bring to boil 1 litre of water in a medium saucepan. Add noodle soup and simmer for 8 minutes. Slowly add beaten eggs to soup, constantly stirring, this will make it stringy. Add the chicken and stir for a few minutes until hot. Add the creamed corn and chives, mix thoroughly and simmer for 10 minutes.

This adequately serves a family of 5. Have this as a main meal with fresh bread rolls.

soups
Chicken & Corn Soup
Ingredients:
BBQ chicken which you break up into pieces
Tin creamed corn
Tin sweet corn
Shallots
Continental chicken noodle soup (2 packets)

Preparation:

Cook chick noodle soup according to packet, add both tins of corn, chicken, and then shallots. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Some people add an egg but I don't bother.

buzzy110, Mar 28, 3:42am
Actually, Asian cooking is made on the spot and eaten immediately. It takes absolutely no effort to make Asian style chicken and corn soup. Read theanimal's recipe. Why bother putting it in a crockpot and stewing it for hours on end?

The same recipe is delicious if you use crab stock and crab meat instead of chicken and also authentic.

rocklover, Mar 28, 6:09am
thanks to those who have posted.
the reason I wanted it for crockpot is that I work fulltime, and thought that maybe it could slow cook all day. The last time someone told me how to cook it was with chicken frames, and the yhad to be simmered for three hours in a pot, I can't do that while I'm at work.

gpmapm, Mar 28, 8:01pm
Ailsa of New Zealand's
Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Soup

SERVES 3

Ingredients
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups sweet corn
1 cup mushroom, sliced
1 teaspoon chili flakes (to taste)
1 teaspoon fish sauce
3 cups hot chicken stock
hot water (enough to make soup as thick or as thin as you like it)

Directions
1, Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
2, Switch on the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high.
3, Add more water if you find it too thick for your taste.
4, I didn't add salt because I used stock cubes for the stock and don't think you need to add more salt.

Warning it is hot and spicey

245sam, Mar 28, 8:41pm
The chicken frames are for making the chicken stock which is the base of many soups, including chicken and corn soup, and the crockpot/slowcooker is a brilliant way of making the stock - it can cook all day in the crockpot/slowcooker while you're at work, then strain the stock, let it cool and refrigerate the strained stock.
The next day all you'd need to do is skim the set fat off the set chicken stock then as advised above it's a very quick and easy task to turn that chicken stock into a delicious chicken and corn soup or whatever, or alternatively, the stock can be frozen for use at a later date. :-))

buzzy110, Mar 28, 10:45pm
You could even leave the fat there. Chinese, for thousands of years, have appreciated the fat and never threw it away. It is only poor Westerners with their unreasonable and totally illogical fear of animal who throw away the fat.

That said, maybe throwing some fat away would be good because the Chinese used to free range eat chickens, that weren't raised in cages. Our method of raising chickens in batteries has resulted in excessively fatty chickens.

tahnasha, Mar 28, 11:27pm
Edgell tinned corn kernals have a brilliant recipe on the back on the tin. My brother in law made it once, and it was so yummy. It has bacon and chicken and corn in it. And I remember an egg at the end. That's all I can remember, but I'd never tried this soup before, and it only takes 30 mins or so to cook.

rocklover, Mar 28, 11:35pm
thanks everyone. making the stock in the crockpot makes sense. will try that. thanks again

aphra1, Dec 15, 8:07am
Hi, if I didn't want to make broth would chicken stock ( the "fresh" in a pack kind) be okay? TIA