Pecan Pie :)

oli3, Nov 24, 1:16am
I need a recipe please, have never made one before so all tips welcome!

elliehen, Nov 24, 1:47am
I used to make this regularly (for Thanksgiving), but have misplaced my recipe.They're all pretty similar, and I've attached a YouTube recipe and demonstration link below.

My top tip would be to make sure that your pecans are very fresh without the slightest hint of rancidity, because rancid nuts will taint the pie.In New Zealand, I have used fresh walnuts (with a few added dates) as a substitute.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/pecanpie.html

2603962, Nov 24, 2:58am
Jo Seager makes a great mini pecan pie just goggle her page sp yummy and easy I make them every Christmas

elliehen, Nov 24, 4:43am
Baby Pecan Pies from Jo Seagar's website

These are delicious served warm as a dessert or can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. They also freeze well. It's best not to double the recipe, if you want to make more just make a second batch after the first.

Ingredients

For the pastry:
125g butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
For the filling:
1 cup pecan nuts
60 g butter
1 egg
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method

Spray two 12 cup mini muffins tins with non stick baking spray. Place ingredients into a food processor and run machine until the pastry clumps around the blade. Divide pastry into 16 small balls and, with floured hands, press into the bases and up the sides of 16 muffin trays. Place the pastry-lined tins in the freezer to chill for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is really firm and hard. Divide the nuts between the pastry-lined cups, breaking the nuts in half if necessary. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C. Melt the butter, whisk in the egg, brown sugar and vanilla essence until smooth but somewhat gluey. Using a small jug, pour approximately a teaspoon of this mixture into each nut filled cup and bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling set and crisp. remove from the oven for 5 minutes in the tins, until the pies are cool enough to handle. Give each pie a little twist to loosen the bottom, then carefully lift out to cool completely on a wire rack.

mbos, Nov 24, 4:46am
Are you American Elliehen!I'm doing a Banoffee pie with pecans in it for my first thanksgiving tomorrow, lol!But thanks for the tip re the pecans, I'll give 'em a good niff.

elliehen, Nov 24, 4:49am
No, but I have American children :)

mbos, Nov 24, 8:46am
Ahhhh.We're doing it for American friends. . .

oli3, Nov 24, 8:34pm
Thanks for the tips, lots of the recipes I am finding have corn syrup - is that readily available here!I've never seen it but have never looked.

elliehen, Nov 24, 9:10pm
Light corn syrup is in the supermarket - Australian brand 'Queen' with 'Glucose Syrup' on the red and yellow label.

However, dark corn syrup is usually used in a pecan pie for the deep colour and golden syrup would be a perfectly adequate substitute in this case.

It's a very sweet pie.