Mock cream - like in the shop donuts!

watertank1, Nov 21, 11:08pm
wanting to make a sponge log for a cake stall, would like to use mock cream - have tried many mock cream recipies before and none turn out like store bought stuff. TIA

cgvl, Nov 21, 11:16pm
Try this its a recipe I found in my MIL's cookbook one day.
sorry its not metric:
1oz flour,
1 egg yolk
2oz butter
1oz sugar
¾cup milk
¼tsp van essence
½cup whipped cream
pinch salt
Method:
mix flour to a paste with some of the milk.
In double boiler:
Heat remainder of milk, gradually stir in flour mix. Heat to boiling point.
Stir in sugar, salt, butter and egg yolk. Cook over water for 5mins.
Cool and add the van essence and whipped cream.

Chocolate: leave out the butter and add 2oz melted chocolate.

watertank1, Nov 21, 11:20pm
oooo thats a completely different recipie than i have ever tried before ! thanks i shal give it a go

otterhound, Nov 23, 8:31am
2 Tbls butter, 2 Tbls sugar, 2 Tbls boiling water. Put ingredients into a bowl and beat until thick like cream.If the mixture curdles, keep on beating until smooth.That's the only way I've ever made it and it's like bought stuff.=)

cgvl, Nov 23, 10:26am
watertank1it 's called a French cream filling. I haven't tried it yet but intend to, hence why I wrote it out last time I visited MIL

frances1266, Nov 23, 7:00pm
otterhound can you make this with margarine please

otterhound, Nov 24, 3:35am
Have no idea frances - I can't stand the stuff!You can only try - it's not much lost if it doesn't work=)

retired, Nov 24, 4:51am
I used to make one called washed cream.Recipe is in one of the Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks, can't remember which one.

sugarplum1, Nov 24, 8:35am
I worked in a bakery many years ago, and we used Delicia as an ingredient in making mock cream.I've never seen it for sale to the public.We got it in 10 litre pails.It tasted exactly the same as the mock cream found in donuts at my local bakery, so I presume its still used or similar.