Cottage cheese

toadfish, Oct 31, 5:40pm
Thanks Juliewn and 245sam they look great.I was at the supermarket and they had cottage cheese (With Garlic & Chive - shortdated) reduced to clear for 25c a pot!I brought 4 for a whole $1 - Will have one fresh on toast or crackers - put the other 3 in the freezer - and will make the meatloaf and the flan. and the winner will be made again. Got to love a bargain

lilyfield, Oct 31, 6:24pm
Lucky toadfish, I would have bought the entire stock.
Cottage cheese here is dearer than hard cheeses-- not fair.

kirmag, Oct 31, 9:22pm
oooooh which recipe to make tonight - both sound lovely!Toadfish did u make one yet!

toadfish, Oct 31, 11:49pm
No not yet, I have the mince out of the freezer to make the meatloaf tonight to cook tommorrow.I don't really have time to start from scratch after work, so am hoping it will sit made up in the fridge Ok till I bake it the next day. will let you knowhow I get on.

didorothy, Nov 21, 5:24am
inadvertently opened can you freeze it !What to do withit otherwise.

245sam, Nov 21, 5:42am
didorothy, yes cottage cheese can be frozen otherwise IMO it has many usese.g. making a meatloaf (I have a recipe if you want/need it), omelettes, cheesecake, sandwiches.

Hope that helps.:-))

crystalmoon, Nov 21, 6:53am
245sam could you put your recipe up please,sounds lovely.

245sam, Nov 21, 7:11am
sure crystalmoon, here's the recipe.

COTTAGE CHEESE MEAT LOAF
500g LEAN mince
1 tbsp prepared mild mustard or other mixed mustard of choice
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup tomato sauce
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp finely chopped or grated onion
1 cup (1 x 250g pottle) cottage cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese

Combine all the ingredients, except the parmesan cheese, then press the mixture into a greased 23cm x 15cm loaf tin.
Bake at180°Cfor1 hour.Remove from the oven and top with the parmesan cheese.Return to the oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven again and allow to stand for about 5 minutes - for ease of cutting.Serve hot or cold.

The cottage cheese gives the meatloaf a nice moistness and helps make just 500g mince go much further.and if you have anyone who doesn't like cottage cheese, it's honestly not really obvious in the cooked meatloaf.:-))

juliewn, Nov 21, 12:37pm
Hi. this Cottage Cheese Flan is tasty - nice hot, warm or cold. it tastes a little like chicken with the mixed herbs included.

Mix the contents of a large pot of cottage cheese with the following:
1 tsp marmite or vegemite
1 dessertspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 medium carrot grated
2 eggs.
Mix well together. Press firmly into a greased pie dish, and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes, until just beginning to brown. Sprinkle the top with another 1/2 cup grated cheese, and add some sesame seeds if you want.
For a crisp topping, sprinkle 1/2 cup of dried breadcrumbs over the cheese.
Return to the oven and bake until the topping is golden. Cut into wedges to serve - either hot, warm or cold.

ps. Hi Shirley. just left a message for you in the curried sausage thread :-)

toadfish, Feb 7, 7:19am
Just made this tonight.one word delicious . used my RTC cottage cheese from the freezer and even my DH meat lover enjoyed it.
I had 4 smallish boneless skinless chicken thighs but needed something to pad it out. perfect.

I have a vegetarian coming for a BBQ next month and will make this for her.

toadfish, Feb 7, 7:20am
PS - Made the meatloaf. ok but didn't go down so well in this house.