Anyone recomend a good diabetes cook book

glynsmum, Nov 10, 1:49am
please with something for Christmas!

uli, Nov 10, 1:54am
There is no "good" diabetes cookbook - as they all say that carbs are ok for diabetics - which they aren't.

So you can buy whatever cookbook you like really . and substitute sugar with artificial sweeteners and not worry about dried fruit and flour . but healthy it ain't.

asue, Nov 10, 2:10am
The one from the Diabetic society

uli, Nov 10, 2:13am
which says dried fruit and flour is ok .

bedazzledjewels, Nov 10, 3:33am
Primal Blueprint Cookbook by Mark Sisson
Paleo Comfort Food by Julie & Charles Mayfield - currently on special at Fishpond.

lythande1, Nov 10, 5:23am
Avoid sugar. Cut down on the carbohydrate.

elliehen, Nov 10, 5:35am
The New Zealand Diabetes Cookbook: Easy Everyday Recipes for the Whole Family
Paperback
By Alison Holst and Simon Holst
In conjunction with Diabetes New Zealand, Simon and Alison have produced Easy Everyday Recipes for the Whole Family: The New Zealand Diabetes Cookbook.

It is packed with over 100 recipes (some modified family favourites and some 'purpose built'), that are practical and which the whole family will enjoy - without the need to cook separate meals!

* Better breakfasts and satisfying soups
* Quick and delicious dips and lunches
* Popular fish, meat and vegetarian mains
* Interesting ideas for salads and vegetables
* Desserts and baking for occasional treats and so much more!

Easy everyday recipes for the whole family says it all!

Fabulous recipes that are easy to make and that the whole family can enjoy. Every recipe is accompanied with a Nutritional Analysis, which means diabetics and those cooking for diabetics can plan complete menus.

---------------

SAMPLE RECIPE: Vegetables a la Greque

These vegetables are delicious served warm, or at room temperature, with barbecues or grilled meat. They have a rather chewy texture, and the sauce around them, flavoured with coriander seeds, is very good sopped up with a bread roll.

FOR 3 SERVINGS:

* 600g prepared vegetables
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 Tbsp cup oil
* 2 Tbsp wine vinegar
* 1 tsp coriander seeds
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 425g can Mexican Spiced Tomatoes or Chunky Tomato and Onion
* 1/4 cup chopped parsley
* 1 Tbsp lemon juice

Cut one or several types of vegetables into long strips. Use carrots, runner, French or yellow beans, cauliflower, celery, green or yellow zucchini, scallopini, mushrooms, yellow, orange, red or green capsicums.

Cook the chopped garlic in the oil without browning. Stir in the vinegar, crushed coriander seeds, seasonings and tomato mixture, then add the vegetables, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until tender-crisp, turning vegetables at intervals.

Sprinkle with parsley and lemon juice and serve the vegetables warm or cold, but preferably at room temperature, in their sauce on a shallow dish.

NOTE: Ground coriander seeds lose their flavour on standing. You get a much better flavour if you crush whole seeds (with a grinder, pestle and mortar or hammer etc.) just before you use them.

Approx nutritional analysis per serve:

ENERGY 429 kJ 102 kcal FAT 4g CARBOHYDRATE 10g

roshu, Nov 10, 6:08am
A low GI cookbook is ideal for diabetics.

cgvl, Nov 10, 10:14am
Living with Diabetes. Have a look at the diabetes NZ website.
Also a diabetic thread on here as well.
Diabetic baking but with some other ideas as well

buzzy110, Nov 10, 9:29pm
You could just go to the library. They have books on diabetic baking for Africa. Get out a couple and read or try the recipes. This way you will get a good idea of what you require in a diabetic recipe book and be able to make a more informed decision. Scour the local second hand book shops and check out the book section of your local Op shops. Both those places have oodles of diabetic recipe books for next to nothing. I picked up 3 from my Op shop for about $4 just to have a read. I'd never, ever post a recipe from them because I think most of the recipes are toxic in the long term for diabetics but that is just my opinion.

Whilst at the library why not also order the book "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution". He has some excellent guidelines for diabetic cooking.

deered, Nov 10, 11:45pm
I should ask if you're looking to cook for a T1 or T2 - if T1 the best thing to do is to cook normally and have the carb contnet of the food availabe. that way the person can tailor their insulin dose to their food.I'm a T1 myself and love christmas - yes I do eat a bit of the turkey stuffing and the roast veg, I don't live Pav at all, and have a pig out on the turkey and have myberry fruit all by it's self, rather than in a low carb high protein smoothie.It is but once a year so it is when I tend not to work so hard at being low/med carb.Also ask the person you are cooking for what recipies they use - honestly most 'diabetic friendly recipies' are taste bud unfriendly!

elliehen, Nov 11, 1:05am
As deered says, cook normally and have the carb content of the food available.Times change and the old 'diabetic' cookbooks with sugar substitutes and 'special' recipes are not much use nowadays.That's why they're thrown out!

Contemporary cooking for people with Type 1 diabetes is very taste-bud friendly because it's basically fresh, unprocessed food with 'managed' carbohydrates.good for the whole family.People with diabetes who eat well are often eating better than those without the condition.

The useful addition to the Holst cookbook mentioned above is the nutritional analysis for each recipe - very helpful for someone who is insulin dependent.

litedelites, Nov 11, 8:32am
Yes, this is a good idea.

uli, Nov 11, 8:49am

elliehen, Nov 11, 9:13am
In conjunction with Diabetes New Zealand, Simon and Alison have produced:
"Easy Everyday Recipes for the Whole Family: The New Zealand Diabetes Cookbook."

There are several current listings here on Trade Me.The following three listings are just a sample.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 11, 6:29pm

glynsmum, Nov 18, 9:50pm
Thanks everyone amongst this lot I guess I'm sorted! appreciate your time