Gingerbread House

clairen, Nov 18, 1:09am
I'm going to attempt my first gingerbread house this year.Has anyone got a good gingerbread recipe for such a thing!

elliehen, Nov 18, 1:30am
If you also have a look at YouTube, you'll find about 8000 videos showing you how to make one.

cookessentials, Nov 18, 1:59am
We had a great workshop last night. twelve ladies making mini gingerbread houses.it was great fun.

clairen, Nov 18, 6:51am
Do you know the recipe you used!

crystalmoon, Nov 18, 7:28am
I made this recipe the other week.I baked it a week ahead and then assembles 3 days ahead ans stored in large plastic box.Next time I would try and assemble it the day before instead as the moisture from icing and melted choc started to make it go soft.was still lovely to eat though.have fun.
This is not my recipe,i think I found it on google in the end.,
Gingerbread House Recipe

Ingredients
Serves: 10
3/4 cup (190g) butter
140g brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 medium lemon, juiced (30ml)
1/2 cup (155g) golden syrup or molasses
2 eggs
3 cups (375g) plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground allspice
Royal Icing

6 egg whites
4 boxes (total 2kg) icing sugar, sifted

Preparation method
Prep: 1 hour 30 minutes| Cook: 30 minutes | Extra time: 10 hours
1. First cut out in thin cardboard: a side wall - 11.5x20cm; a rectangular end wall - 11.5x13cm; a triangular gable
- 11.5x7.5x7.5 cm; and a roof rectangle -11.5x22cm. Tape the rectangular end wall piece to the triangular gable piece:
match the long side of the triangle, (11.5cm) to one of the 11.5cm sides of the end wall.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in lemon rind, lemon juice, and molasses.
Gradually beat in 2 eggs. Sift the flour, baking powder, and spices together; stir into creamed mixture.
Add more flour if needed to make a firm dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 6 portions, 2 slightly larger than the others. On a
lightly floured surface, roll out the 4 smaller pieces to approximately the size of the side wall and the end wall with
gable templates; cut out two of each. Roll out remaining dough, and cut into two rectangular roof pieces. Transfer
gingerbread onto greased baking trays.
4. In a preheated oven - 190 degrees C - bake gingerbread for 10 minutes, or until crisp. When removing from the oven,
leave the gingerbread on the baking trays for a few minutes to set, then transfer to wire racks. Leave out overnight to
totally cool and harden.
5. In a large bowl, lightly whisk 2 egg whites. Gradually beat in approximately 5 cups icing sugar. The icing should be
smooth and stand in firm peaks. Spread or pipe a 23cm line of icing onto a cake board, and press in one of the side walls
so that it sticks firmly and stands upright. If necessary, spread or pipe a little extra icing along either side to help
support it. Take an end wall and ice both the side edges. Spread or pipe a line of icing on the board at a right angle to
the first wall, and press the end wall into position. Repeat this process with the other two walls until they are all in
position.
6. Leave the walls to harden together for at least two hours before putting on the roof. Spread or pipe a thick layer of
icing on top of all the walls, and fix the roof pieces in position; the roof should overlap the walls to make the eaves.
Pipe or spread a little icing along the crest of the roof to hold the two pieces firmly together. Leave overnight to set
firmly.
7. When ready to decorate, make the remaining icing. In a large bowl, lightly whisk 4 egg whites, and mix in remaining
icing sugar as before or you may want to make several bowls for different coloured icing. Use to make snow on the roof
and other external decoration. Use various lollies for decoration as well. Finish with a fine dusting of sifted icing
sugar.
Tips
You can trim the pieces to better fit together when you are assembling.

nisisi, Nov 19, 10:18am

elliehen, Nov 19, 10:46pm
Just remembering the hint for making 'hair' for your Gingerbread men and women.put the dough through a garlic press.

cookessentials, Nov 20, 5:21am
No, it's commercially sensitive LOL as it is used by the lady taking the class who uses it to make a living. The Australain Womens weekly has a breat gingerbread recipe which I have used for making houses for years.