Rice salad - never made it before, so how long

kuaka, Nov 17, 10:27pm
does it keep!I want it for Monday evening, will it be okay to make it Sunday and keep it refrigerated, so should I make it Monday morning!

mazzy1, Nov 17, 11:34pm
I make a very tasty brown rice salad and it lasts for a few days.
1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup (use less; salty) lite soya sauce
1/2 onion finely chopped
Cook the rice in the water and when still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions. Let cool for a couple of hours ~ preferably overnight.
Add the following ~ 1 red pepper chopped
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds
You can also add diced tomato, mushrooms, raisins, sesame seeds.
Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey, pinch of salt

Mix and pour over salad
Not sure where I got this one but it's fabulous!

sarahb5, Nov 18, 12:01am
Cooked rice grows listeria really quickly so once you've cooked your rice make sure you cover it and cool it in the fridge before adding the rest of your ingredients

elliehen, Nov 18, 12:10am
It pays to be extra careful with rice.Richard Till in his Countdown TV commercials this week is reminding cooks to refrigerate rice as soon as it's cool and not to keep it too long.

davidt4, Nov 18, 12:26am
It's not listeria that grows in cooked rice, it's Bacillus cereus.It has pretty nasty effects and is not destroyed by heating.The acid in the dressing will preserve a rice salad a little longer, but I wouldn't leave it more than 24 hours.Here are the unpleasant details if anyone's interested.

http://www.ecolab.com/PublicHealth/BCereus.asp

kuaka, Nov 18, 1:33am
davidt4 - I will check that link out later when I have more time, in the meantime, I will plan to make it Monday morning for eating Monday evening.I'm just trying to do as much as possible the day before so that I don't have to do so much on the day (have five extras coming for a meal, one of them I've never met and another I've only met once so don't want to be all the time in the kitchen)

sarahb5, Nov 18, 1:53am
I was told listeria which is why pregnant women can't eat sushi - my most humble apologies for being so badly misinformed

davidt4, Nov 18, 2:07am
Listeria is more likely to be present on the fish than in the rice.Raw fish is vulnerable to all kinds of contamination - I once came down with Yersinia, which is a horrible and long lasting food poisoning, and it was traced back to sashimi I had eaten at a very reputable Japanese restaurant.

mazzy1, Nov 18, 2:25am
I would certainly make it on Sunday for Monday. I've done this forever and we are both still here to tell the tale, with no ill effects. By all means refrigerate immediately and use common sense, but don't panic - you will be fine.

rainrain1, Nov 18, 4:31am
yes sunday for monday

kuaka, Nov 18, 7:58am
Thanks - I'll go with that.I haven't poisoned anyone yet and I've been cooking almost 50 years, so don't want to start now, but I will be careful.

kinna54, Nov 19, 5:03am
should be perfect, I find it's better when the rice is really chilled.

kuaka, Nov 19, 8:29am
That's good, because I'm all behind schedule at the moment, had planned to go grocery shopping today but ran out of time, so will have to do that tomorrow, and want to prepare as much as I can tomorrow so I'm not feeling too pressured on Monday (that way I might even have time to flick a duster round and put a sparkle in the place)