Raw carrot salad

janny3, Jul 14, 2:17pm
Swiss friend made a European Carrot Salad with a very Italian-French style dressing for hers, which she served with a leg of roasted pork.

This one is Vietnamese Style Carrot salad.It's also an ideal fresh,tangy, raw salad accompaniment for a rich roast pork.

Mix juice of 1 lime,3 tbsp fish sauce,3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce and2 cm chunk root ginger , finely grated.

Pour over 3 large, finely grated carrots and
½ white cabbage, very finely shredded
a large bunch mint, chopped
a large handful peanuts , toasted and chopped

Toss and serve with 1 fresh lime cut into cheeks to serve
Sprinkle with peanuts.
Serve as a side dish.Garnish with sliced spring onions, sliced fresh red chillies.

aglarana, Jul 14, 2:34pm
To stop the discolouration use a child friendly grater. They are a hardy plastic variety, like the safety knives. Brightly coloured, really stands out in the cupboard so you can find it easily and you can use them for anything, even pumpkin!

rozke, Jul 15, 4:55am
the best one l have ever tasted was in Waikato Hospitalgrated carrotspring onionswith pure orange juice and sultanas left to marinate for a while to plump up sultanas.Cheers

ange164, Jul 15, 6:30am
I've never had carrot go brown as long as it was peeled first. It seems odd to me that so many responders think it does. Always grated 2-3 days worth of carrot for the cafe and never had it go brown. But I guess it's a moot discussion seeing as this has been bumped from last November.

niffer13, Jul 15, 6:38am
I agree with ange164 I have grated carrot in the fridge for several days in a tupperwear container & it never goes brown.

janny3, Jul 15, 8:10am
Thanks for reminding us.Years ago the Akld hospital used to serve this too.It was one of my favourites.

spencer26, Nov 17, 1:47am
I enjoyshreded raw carrot mixed with all sorts of other raw vegies,but do not enjoy the lemon juice I have to add to stop it going brown.
Is ther any other way to stop the discolouration!

seniorbones, Nov 17, 2:51am
I just use a dressing and it seems ok.

lilyfield, Nov 17, 3:42am
grate -eat- no time to get brown

whitehead., Nov 17, 4:22am
you could add a bit of sugar to the juice first then toss the carrot in the juice and let the juicedrain off before adding to your salard

margyr, Nov 17, 4:41am
grated carrot, sultanas, finely diced onion and mint sauce is yum. The mint sauce is what stops the browning.

punkinthefirst, Nov 21, 8:25am
I use grated carrot, de-membraned orange segments, thinly sliced red onion, with a handful of sultanas soaked in orange juice. Orange juice is the dressing.
I'm not sure where I got the idea, but I think it's Moroccan or Middle Eastern.
A bit of mint sauce or chopped mint in there might be nice, too.

rubeat, Nov 21, 9:26am
mix the lemon juice and add to apacket of orange jelly and pop in fridge to set

annie642, Nov 22, 6:50am
I put orange juice on mine and a wee bit of choped mint and/or parsley, a few currants or raisins and if I have slivered almonds add them. yum

amasser, Nov 22, 7:04am
Diced carrot, celery and apricot with mayonnaise - never had time to discolour.

amasser, Nov 23, 7:04am
Diced carrot, celery and apricot (dried) with mayonnaise - never had time to discolour.