Salad dressing

pickles7, Nov 16, 7:01pm
Mix together to dissolve the following ingredients.
1 cup of sugar,
2 cups of milk powder,
1 Tbsp butter,
3/4 cup of boiling water.
cool
Add
2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup of good malt vinegar.
The longer it is left in the fridge the smoother this becomes.
I sometimes take 1/2 a cup of this and add curry powder to taste, chopped chili, grated ginger, etc. To add a bit of variety.
All ingredients to your own taste.

fifie, Nov 17, 12:56am
Mmm sounds good pickles, i make a big jar of the old boiled dressing up to keep in fridge, thin down as needed, but like the sound of the goodies you can add to this if you want,and the fact you can use milk powder also, thanks for sharing

pickles7, Nov 17, 4:01am
could you put your cooked dressing recipe up.fifie. please

elliehen, Nov 17, 8:48am
pickles, until fifie comes back, here's one.

Source: A very old Westport cookery book from the days of coal ranges - one advertisement for the Westport Borough Council Gas department says, "Cook with Gas - No smoke and no soot!"

BOILED SALAD DRESSING
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teacup vinegar
3 eggs beaten
1 cup milk

Mix mustard, salt, pepper and sugar, add beaten eggs, then milk and lastly vinegar.Cook in a double boiler stirring till thick.

mss2006, Nov 17, 8:50am
Interesting, must try that.Just like anglase!

fifie, Nov 17, 11:39pm
OldSalad dressing, for Pickles.
11/2 cups cold water,3 eggs,Small dessertspoon mustard powder,1/2 cup vinegar,1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, 2 tablespoons butter.
In a saucepan whisk together the eggs add other ingredients except butter whisk all well till combined add butter, stirring all the time over a low heat cook till it thickens but DON"T boil. Remove from heat cool,put in a large preserving jar with a lid on keep in fridge. Use a spoonful or two as required, thinned downwith a little milk or cream.

alessia, Nov 17, 11:44pm
If I line a Tin for a Christmas Cake with Baking Paper do I still have to line the tin with Newspaper or Brown Paper! Appreciate your advice.

elliehen, Nov 18, 12:22am
I've taken these instructions from the Christmas Cake thread which I'll bump up for you.juliewn is a long-time poster and her recommendations can be relied on.

pickles7, Nov 18, 9:21am
thanks for the recipes.
I have used the mustard sauce left over from corned meat, as salad dressing, it was a good way to use it up.
My Husband only likes the condensed milk recipe, but will use the whole egg mayo, on salad sandwiches. He may like the boiled dressings, they look good.