Secret Custard Pie Recipe.HELP!

choklate, Nov 15, 11:57pm
Hi guys, need some help here.I recently asked a lady from church for her custard pie recipe.She hesitated and gave me what I found out later to be the wrong recipe.Years ago I remember watching her make it, at the time I really didn't take any notice because I wasn't really in to baking.But from what I could remember was that she made a short pastry I think it was with butter, sugar, baking powder.She would quickly mix it with her kenwood mixer and it would be crumbly.She would then pat the crumb mixture into tray and bake it off.While that was going she would be heating up the milk stirring in the custard powder and carnation milk.Now she didn't mention the carnation milk until I asked her "Isn't there carnation milk in it!" Lol.So she would make the custard and it was very thick and creamy. I do remember that she separated eggs to make the meringue to go on top.She said that she used the yolks in the custard.I really need some help guys.can someone come up with a simillar recipe. It is so goooood.I just don't want to ask her again.lol.

pinky30, Nov 16, 12:23am
lol I would like it too! My husband has been at me for 16 years to make one. and I have never been gamelol

fifie, Nov 16, 1:19am
Why don't you have a go i would lol, Make your shortcase pastry in food processor, pre bake in a pie tin. fill with nice creamy custardmade with egg yolk, sugar, custard powder,little milk,( tin carnation milk, this will make it creamy)and vanilla, pour intocooked pie crust and bake 15-20 mins till it starts to hold, about 180, while this happening whip up egg whites with 2 tablesp sugar per egg white spread on meringue and bake again till meringue is golden. something like a lemon meringue pie,only usea custard filling instead.

davidt4, Nov 16, 1:38am
Here's a detailed recipe from Delia Smith.As a substitute for the single cream, use half whole milk and half plain cream.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/desserts/tart/old-fashioned-english-custard-tart.html

choklate, Nov 16, 8:57pm
The thing was that it wasn't a baked custard.It was cooked on the stovetop and then poured over the base once the base was cooked.She then whipped up the meringue and spread it over and browned it off in the oven.

cookessentials, Nov 16, 10:31pm
I basically do one of those ( although it does not have condensed milk in it!) and I dont put meringue on the top. it is a traditional style of custard tart.

katienz11, Nov 16, 10:34pm
Quite different then! :oP

cookessentials, Nov 16, 10:37pm
Custard Tart

185g plain flour
55g icing sugar
2 tablespoons custard powder
125g cold butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
4 eggs, beaten lightly
110g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
625ml milk
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Blend or process the flour, icing sugar, custard powder and butter until combined. Add the egg yolk and process quickly until the ingredients just come together. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 30 mins.
Roll the pastry on a floured surface until large enough to line a 23cm pie dish. Lift the pastry into the dish and press into side, trim edge. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to moderately hot (200 C). Cover the pastry with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice, place on an oven tray. Bake in a moderately hot oven for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, bake for a further 10 minutes or until browned lightly. If the edge of the pastry is browning too quickly, cover with strips of foil. Reduce oven temperature to moderately slow (160 C).

Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Bring the milk to the boil in a medium pan. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture; strain into the pastry case and sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Bake in a moderately slow oven for about 30 minutes or until the custard is just set. Refrigerate until cold. This makes a very firm custard tart, a bit like the ones you used to be able to buy at the school lunch room. it slices easily.

hotstuff111, Nov 16, 10:53pm
this is our family birthday treet every year all they want for there birthday teas. base half a cup sugar 1 egg 125g butter 2 cups flour 2 tablespoons baking powder pinch saltcream butter and sugar add egg then dry ingredents i use a roasting dish anf spread over dish prick base and cook 160 10 minutes check its cooked on bottom. for the custard1 liter milk 3 eggs 3 tablespoons corn flour 1 cup sugar pinch salt 2 tablespoons butter 1 tea spoon vanillaput the milk in a pot and heat up to boil stage take of heat and add eggs and sifted dry ingredients add to milk put back on heat to thicken then add 25 g butter and vanilla and take of heat should be ready to pour over base you can add some sprinkled nutmeg if you want .

hotstuff111, Nov 16, 10:56pm
i found the 1 cup of sugar in the custard really sweet so made it 3/4 next time. a lady from africa gave me this .

bond009, Nov 16, 11:27pm
Do us all a favour and ask the nice church lady for the recipe and then post it here for all of us to savour.Tell her that she will be sharing with many and making that many ver very happy.

cantabman1, Nov 17, 8:06pm
Just had a large meal of whitebait for dinner last night yum, yum.I have caught a lot in the last few days and have some for sale $20 for 250 grams fresh, limited supply.Ph 9424056

cantabman1, Nov 17, 8:13pm
The perfect recipe for makiing whitebait patties.
2 beaten eggs 2 tea spoons plain flour, quarter tea spoon baking powder, add cracked pepper and salt beat well, fold 250 grams plus of whitebait into mix and cook in a frypan on two thirds heat with a mix of butter and a little cooking oil.

cookessentials, Nov 17, 8:41pm
Mmm, how did we go from custard tart to whitebait!! LOL

choklate, Nov 18, 8:25am
Thanks cookessentials will give your one a go.

kuaka, Nov 18, 8:26am
I think cantabman is looking for customers seeing as the phone number is in the message.Hope he doesn't think the whitebait would go well in the custard pie, (like the banana in the scrambled egg in another thread)

choklate, Nov 18, 8:51am
Lol.I agree Kuaka.