Lemon and Poppyseed Cake recipe

suenz75, Nov 14, 5:08am
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that they would mind sharing please. Thanks. Sue

litedelites, Nov 14, 7:18am
I have - it makes a huge cake, I will hunt it out and post tomorrow for you.

suenz75, Nov 14, 7:20am
Thanks.Its for a school fair and we have heaps of lemons so was wanting to use some but don't have the time or inclination to test a recipe.

elliehen, Nov 14, 7:33am
suenz75, you asked for 'tried and true' and I haven't baked this, but I have eaten it ;)It might be useful to have a second recipe.

Lemon, Lime and Poppyseed Syrup Cake

Cake
125g butter
2 tsp of both finely grated lemon and lime zest
250g caster sugar
3 eggs
200g flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
100ml plain yoghurt or buttermilk

Syrup
3 Tbsp each of lemon and lime juice and caster sugar

Oven to 180 C. Prepare your tin.line the base if it is a normal tin.

Cream the butter with the 2 zests until light and creamy. Slowly add the caster sugar beating well after each addition. Beat in the eggs one at time and mix well after each.

Combine the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds. Fold into the butter mixture alternately with the yoghurt.

Bake about 30-40 mins until cooked. Stand in the tin 5-10 mins then turn out onto a rack.

Make the syrup by bringing the ingredients to the boil and simmering about 3 mins. Pour the hot syrup over the hot cake

litedelites, Nov 14, 9:34pm
LEMON & POPPY SEED CAKE

Ingredients:

3 cups of sugar
4 eggs
5 lemons
2 cups of oil
2 cups of unsweetened plain yoghurt
pinch of salt
5 cups of self raising flour
4 tbspns of poppy seeds (a box)

Icing:

Cream Cheese
Icing Sugar
Butter

Blend sugar & eggs until combined.Zest & juice lemons and add.Slowly add oil.Add yoghurt and blend.

In a separate bowl sift flour, salt and add poppy seeds.Add this to the wet mix.

Put in a cake tin (note: you will need a large tin and will need to put in baking paper around the side as it rises quite a bit)

Bake at 160 C for 1 hour 15 mins (it might take longer than this – check with a bamboo stick until it comes out clean)

Icing:Mix cream cheese, icing sugar and butter and ice cake when cooled

Note:As this makes an extremely large cake – you may want to ½ the recipe

I have made this a number of times and always get great comments. I got this from my friends sister in law.She baked this and I just had to get the recipe

Enjoy

zahnee, Nov 15, 12:13am
My Mum makes lemon and poppyseed scones which are delicious but looks like I may have to give the lemon and poppy seed cake a try.

sconz1, Nov 15, 2:42am
litedelites that is the best recipe isn't it. It is huge though!

suenz75, Nov 15, 3:02am
Thank you.I might split it into 2 (or 3) 20cm cakes.Thanks for taking the time to post it, I look forward to baking it on Friday :-)

enzfx8yqrmf, Jul 14, 8:14am
Happy Birthday to Navy of course, and in the hedear pic, Bonda looks ADORABLE and her elder sis has grown up so well too.. they have such expressive eyes.. both of them.

olh789kf3sqs, Jul 16, 12:44pm
Hi Dee. I think that even if you're not a fan of dates you will still like this. The dates are soaked and pereud and really don't have add an overwhelming flavour to the cake. The only thing I could think of trying instead of dates might be dried figs. Even raisins might work?