What's the best potato salad you have ever had!

Page 1 / 3
daisyhill, Sep 23, 5:03am
It's good to see some potato salad recipes that aren't just potatos in mayo! I will be referring to this thread when the weather warms up a bit and it's barbecue season again :-)

sossie1, Sep 23, 5:05am
I always add stuff to the mayonnaise, such as sour cream, herbs, mustard and lemon juice.
Boiled eggs, remove the cooked yolk and mash into the dressing

rainrain1, Sep 23, 5:35am
wow I will have to try that one, it sounds beautiful
edited to ask quantities of potatoes to stock thanks!

whitehead., Sep 23, 5:44am
get so fennel from the side of the road its just coming away at this time of year . using the fluffy bits add about a tea spoon of well chopped fennel to any mayo more eggs the better and its to die for

robyn35, Sep 23, 5:48am
my boys love potato, spring onion, bacon, cheese, eggs, dressing of best foods mayo/sour creme/whole grain mustardor the good old eta potato salad dressing

buzzy110, Sep 23, 5:51am
Uli won't be back so you'll have to wing it. But I doubt that Uli actually uses measurements. She would just know, from experience, how much stock to use. As you say, it does sound quite delicious.

southerngurl, Sep 23, 9:23am
I nuke potatos (2 potatos per person) for 10 mins in the microwave, in a bowl I add a teaspoon of hot mustard, 2 squirts of honey mustard, 2 dollops of grained mustard, a teaspoon of mayo or sour cream, 2 shakes of dried basil and 2 shakes of chives. Mix all together and add to hot chopped potato. never lasts in this household

daisyhill, Sep 23, 10:15am
Oooh, that sounds delicious and I definitely want to try it! Althought 10 minutes in the microwave sounds far too long, unless your potatoes are really massive. I usually ding mine for about four or five minutes if I'm going to mash them through the ricer.

southerngurl, Sep 23, 10:30am
their generally palm sized. and it makes them all nice and squishy.

gaspodetwd, Sep 23, 10:39am
Cold jersey bennes with spring onion, finely chopped and sour cream.
With optional ham on the bone.

my_savannah, Sep 23, 10:21pm
My dutch friend makes an amazing potato salad where the potatoes are roughly mashed with tinned corned beef, mayo,small silver picked onions cut up plus a bit of the pickling vinegar with gerkins and boiled eggs sliced on top. Every single person that I know(except the vegetarians ) love it!

davidt4, Sep 23, 11:05pm
I make something quite similar to uli's potato salad, but instead of stock I bathe the cooked potatoes in white wine while they are hot.You don't need much stock or wine, maybe half a cup, and turn them over in the liquid from time to time until they are cool.Drain them before dressing.The potatoes absorb the liquid and gain flavour, also they do not take up so much vinaigrette or mayonnaise.

kiwibubbles, Sep 24, 12:18am
i cut up potatoes into cubes, mix half mayo half cream with chopped up mint or parsley, finely chopped onion or spring onion, and some bacon if you fancy. Hmmm SO good and tastes even better the next day

gardie, Sep 24, 3:11am
Canned potatoes are our christmas treat.Yum!

jaybee6, Sep 24, 4:17am
Canned potatoes are lovely and taste just like fresh spuds. If you have not had them then dont comment till you have.The make an awesome salad and are very reasonable to buy like this.You will always have a salad on hand as long as you have a tin of these in your pantry. Yummmmmmmm.

dolphinlu, Sep 25, 9:58pm
Potatoes, kumera and yams with peppers, spring onion, soft cheese and radishs. Mix with home brand potato salad dressing.

ldbaqbeak, Sep 26, 9:13am
The best potato salad I ever had was one made by a friend who actually used a White sauce instead of Mayo, and added heaps of bacon, boiled eggs and onion sauted in a hint of garlic.
I make it myself that way now. It's soooooooo good, but really filing (which is probably good as you wouldn't want to eat a lot considering the calories lol).
Oh, and sprinkle a little lemon pepper on top.

uli, Sep 27, 8:03am
Good god - surely you could have something else for a treat!

davidt4, Sep 27, 9:59am
Uli!Lovely to hear from you.

olwen, Sep 27, 10:33am
I used to make a greek style potato salad.The dressing was olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and mint (no mayo).Add it while the potatoes are warm so it soaks in.You could include spring onions etc.

uli, Sep 28, 8:15am
Yeah well I try not to .

uli, Sep 30, 9:02pm
. doesn't always work :)

antoniab, Oct 1, 12:40am
My Mums curried potato salad - LOVE IT

toadfish, Oct 1, 2:19am
This is nice as well

Pesto Potato Salad

700g baby new potatoes, halved (or Waxy Potatoes boiled and cubed - not quite as fancy though - but still yummy)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbs whole egg mayonnaise
2 tbs Basil Pesto
2 tbs chopped fresh chives ( I don't bother)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Method

1. To make the pesto potato salad, cook potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain well. Meanwhile, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, pesto and chives in a large bowl. Add hot potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.

A good topping of crispy Bacon is nice

justiyah, Oct 2, 8:41am
Potatoes, boiled and chopped eggs in to quaters, capiscum(optional), Kumura(optional), Red onion. Anything you bf likes such as these ingredients then a bottle of cream and cream of chicken soup. mix this in a pot until thickened. add to potato mixture. Yummy.