Rhubarb idea's please

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jan 5, 11:49pm
Bumping up for someone wanting rhubarb ideas.

marcs, Jan 6, 1:14am

ayglepaygle, Jan 6, 2:54am
Thanks for thr great idea of using the jelly - I tried it the other day - delicious!

bev00, May 2, 12:04pm
Rhubarb Buttermilk Loaf
Tararua Buttermilk makes the lightest and moistest loaf imaginable. It keeps well and freezes perfectly- even if you are not a rhubarb fan - you will change your mind after a slice of this!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup Tararua Buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Edmonds Baking Soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups Edmonds High Grade Flour
2 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 Tbsp Tararua Butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
Method
Combine the brown sugar and oil in a bowl. Stir well until smooth. Stir in egg,Tararua Buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla and flour. Blend until moist. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Turn batter into greased loaf pan.

Combine butter and sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter.

Bake 180degC until a skewer inserted in centre comes out dry, 50-60 mins . Turn out onto rack. Cool before slicing.

* Do not use fan-bake with this loaf - use regular bake and good news, it is so cake like it does not require buttering or any additional treatment - enjoy with a cup of coffee.

margyr, May 2, 7:58pm
I use a sheet of flakey pastry, lay the stalks on and roll like a sausage roll, egg wash and sprinkle the top with sugar.

rooty, May 3, 2:15am
CARAMEL CRUSTED RHUBARB
4 cups diced rhubarb
Crust;
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
100gms butter
1tsp baking powder
1cup rolled oats
Topping;
3/4cup brown sugar
1tbs cornflour(mix tog)
Sift flour and baking powdertog, mix in rolled oats and sugar,melt butter and mix into dried ingreds.
put diced rhubarb into oven proof bowl,and sprinkle over the crust mixture.
spoon topping mixture over this,then carefull pour 1/4 cup of boiling waterover topping.DO NOT STIR.
Bake at 180c for 30 minutes until caramel crust has formed.THIS is soo yum

rooty, May 3, 2:26am
i need three savoury recipes for a morning tea please.the simpler the better.please

makespacenow, May 3, 2:51am
I made some rhubarb and vanilla jam/fruit spread few weeks ago.posted recipe think under " all these years i had no idea.". As i used to give away rhubarb because my family insisted they didn't like it.well this jam didn't even make it into the cupboard.

bev00, May 17, 9:31am
RHUBARB JAM
Ingredients For every 2kg rhubarb allow: • 4 apples • 2kg sugar • 112g
preserved ginger • the rind and juice of 1 lemon
Cut up the rhubarb and spread on paper. Allow to dry for 3-4 days, turning each day.
Peel and core apples, reserving fl esh. Boil peel and cores in a little water, then strain.
Pour the strained apple liquid into a pan and allow 1 cup sugar to each cup of liquid. Add remaining sugar gradually until it’s melted, then when syrup is boiling briskly, add rhubarb and fl esh of apples, and boil till it sets when tested. Add chopped up ginger, lemon rind and juice just before
putting the jam into hot, sterilised jars.

makespacenow, May 17, 8:18pm
Rhubarb & vanilla jam.posted recipe search on he left under .all these years i had no idea.

bev00, Jul 10, 10:22am
Rhubarb and amaretti tart

Serves 6
375g ready-rolled pastry or roll puff pastry to a rectangle avout 35x25cm
80g amaretti biscuits
500g rhubarb
100g sugar
To serve; whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or good quality custard

Heat oven to 200degC.
Unroll the pastry and place it on a well-greased baking sheet that has been lined with greaseproof paper. Fold over the sides to make an edge and press down with a fork. Crumble the amaretti biscuits and scatter over the bottom of the tart.
Cut the rhubarb in half, then slice into long thin strips and put into a bowl.
When you are ready to cook the tart, toss the rhubarb in the sugar and immediately stack it on top of the pastry and put it into the oven. If you wait it will start to produce a lot of liquid.
Cook 35 to 40 minutes, until pastry is light golden in colour.
Cut into six even-sized rectangles and serve with your desired accompaniment

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 10, 10:41am
Also only pull the leaves off the plant do not cut or the plant will rot and die!

griffo4, Oct 23, 7:02am
made the rhubarb and banana oat crumble and they combination of rhubarb and banana is so nice l would never have thought of it and l was only looking for recipes for using buttermilk and found another recipe to try

carlosjackal, Oct 23, 10:03am
We grow rhubarb and somethimes we have so much we have to give heaps away. Aside from making gorgeous desserts with it, you can poach/stew a few stalks at a time and freeze it for future use. I do this and this way we can enjoy Rhubarb all through the year.

johne21, Nov 6, 11:20pm
I have been given a heap of Rhubarb can I freeze it without cooking it first! Would love some nice foodie idea's and recipes please.Thanks so much :)

r-mvz, Nov 6, 11:29pm
Rhubarb crumble, it is so yummy.

Crumble topping I make is (flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon).

Serve with either icecream, custard, or cream.

245sam, Nov 6, 11:35pm
johne21, yes rhubarb can be frozen before it is cooked - prepare the rhubarb just as if you were going to cook it then place it in bag(s) or container(s).
For a choice of rhubarb recipes (desserts, cakes, muffins.) try doing a search here on this TradeMe MB using Rhubarb as the Keyword and Last Year as the Date posted option but here are a couple of our favourite rhubarb recipes + a very useful hint .

RHUBARB CUSTARD CRUMBLE
450g rhubarb trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1”) pieces - fresh or frozen.
Custard:
3 rounded household tbsp custard powder
85g white sugar
450ml milk

Make a custard with all the ingredients and once it has boiled add the raw rhubarb – the custard will need to be very thick and stodgy. Place the rhubarb and custard mixture into a 1.5-2 litre ovenproof dish, then top the mixture with the
Crumble:
170g flour
85g each of brown sugar and butter or margarine.
Rub the butter into the flour to form a crumby mixture, then mix the brown sugar lightly through.
Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes.
Note:If using frozen rhubarb, add it to the custard directly from the freezeri.e. there is no need to thaw it first - the heat of the custard will do that.

HINT: a now-late friend of my DH's family gave me this tip 30+ years ago.let the rhubarb stand, covered by boiling water, for 5 minutes, then drain that water off - I don't recommend doing this for the Rhubarb Custard Crumble but it sure does work otherwise and I find it to be great especially when making.

SPICED RHUBARB
500g rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths)
1 tsp ground ginger,
2 tbsp very finely chopped preserved / crystallised ginger
sugar to taste and 2 tbsp water – see note below

Place all the ingredients in an oven proof dish and cover the dish. Cook at 150°C for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Note: If the rhubarb is prepared as in the above hint, the 2 tbsp water shouldn’t be needed and neither should the sugar because of the sugar coating on the ginger.

Hope that helps.:-))

jennyfenny1, Nov 7, 2:47am
growing up, mum stewed rhubarb from the garden to have with cereal/yoghurt for breakfast, and with icecream and in hot crumbles/sponges for desert.
boyfriends mum however would cook it then set it in a packet of raspberry jelly. so thats how he prefers it to this day (far too sweet if you asked me)

on a random note- my dad used to always tell me that in the old days for crowds scenes in films they would get all the extras to just mutter "rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb" as when a whole bunch of ppl are saying it, it sounds like general crowd noise/discussion haha

fisher, Nov 7, 2:51am
cheers 245 sam. have saved those as have just planted 4 rhubarb plants and await their bounty :}

kob, Nov 7, 3:01am
oh i love rhubarb and my fav way is to roughly chop it and just cover with water and add a strawberry or reaspberry jelly to the water and a little sugar, not too much but you dont want it sour.once cooked and cooled the jelly thickens it up and can then be used either as a dessert which you can then either make into a crumble, pie or flan or just add a sponge to it, OR just leave it as it is and have with icecream or as a fruit with cereal it is such a versitile fruit

elliehen, Nov 7, 3:05am
ROSS'S SOUR CREAM RHUBARB CAKE

Beat:
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
125 grams margarine (1/4 of a pottle)

Add & continue beating:
1 egg
1 250 gram pottle sour cream
1 tsp vanilla essence (I prefer pure - not imitation, which tends to lose flavour)
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above:
2 cups standard flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:
3 cups of chopped RAW rhubarb & stir together till combined - don't over-mix

Bake 180* C for 50 to 55 minutes in a med-large ring tin or a 2 (small) loaf tins (eat one now and freeze one for later!)

Icing

Beat till combined:
2 cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
250 grams cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon juice

NOTE:
You can use half-quantity icing to save $$$ and don't buy 'Spreadable' cream cheese cos it will run all over the cake.Philly block is best.
A delicate decoration - if you want one - can be a few super-thin curls of lemon rind.

marcs, Nov 7, 3:10am
I chop mine up and freeze them in little bags then use them as I need them. It save you cooking them all up at once.

harrislucinda, Nov 7, 4:45am
justgot245samscustardin theoventonight.pud

kamitchell, Nov 7, 4:55am
that Rhubarb custard sounds delicious!Harrislucinda, please report back with results! :)

fisher, Nov 7, 5:05am
yes harrislucindasounds magic. lets have your expert opinion once devoured .:}}