Low carb lovelies have you attempted to

Page 1 / 2
malcovy, Nov 3, 9:41pm
make coconut flour and if so how did you grind it fine!.
I have googled and some have soaked it and then put it through a juicer for the cream.They have then dried the coconut meal in the oven and when it cools they have put it through the food processor.
I don't have a juicer and would only buy one if I knew this was the best way to make coconut flour.
$19.50 for a kilo of coconut flour is crazy.

buzzy110, Nov 3, 9:51pm
I am curious to know why you need coconut meal. Is it for the cream and the coconut meal is a bonus by-product or do you use it to create low carb versions of all your favourite high carb foods!

malcovy, Nov 3, 9:54pm
For baking at this stage.I haven't a clue what the texture of the flour is like ie smooth or gritty.

buzzy110, Nov 3, 10:00pm
Thanks. I personally wouldn't go investing in a juicer just for that one process. Juicers are also not particularly well used by people on low carb diets. The preference is to eat the whole fruit rather than take out the sweetest, highest carb part of the fruit or vegetable and just consume that.

malcovy, Nov 3, 10:04pm
I would buy a juicer if that is the best way for making coconut flour.I too believe it is healthier to eat whole fruit.

prawn_whiskas, Nov 3, 10:04pm
Coconut meal (which is all you will be able to make at home) and coconut flour are two totally different products.You will not be able to make the 'flour' at home.$19 a kg is not over the top as you do not use it in the large quantity's you would as if using wheat based flours. LC Baking is a completely different chemistry to normal baking.

davidt4, Nov 3, 10:59pm
Coconut flour, as P-W has said, is not the same as ground up coconut flesh and it is pointless to try to make it at home.It behaves quite differently from wheat flour - it has no elasticity and is super-absorbent - and you can't just substitute without drastically altering the recipe.

If you are serious about eating low carb it's better to wean yourself off baked goods than to try to replicate conventional products with awkward substitutes like coconut flour and artificial sweeteners.Coconut flour is quite handy if you want to thicken a wet mixture (e.g. a casserole) without reducing the liquid, but after many experiments with it I now hardly use it at all.

(edited to add)The texture of coconut flour is rough and slightly gritty.It is acceptable in something rustic like a cheese muffin, but I wouldn't even try it in a cake.

malcovy, Nov 4, 12:33am
All I am wanting to know if is anyone has tried making it at home ie coconut flour.
Edited to add, thanks Davidt4 for the information regarding the texture

prawn_whiskas, Nov 4, 12:42am
That's my point, you 'can't' make it at home. It is a by-product of coconut milk manufacturing that has been ground into flour, its not powdered coconut flesh.So it's simply not possible to replicate at home.

Dried and ground coconut flesh no matter how dry and how fine you get it will never behave the same as coconut flour.Why don't you buy a sample bag from Nature Foods and see for your self.(its only $5 for a sample)

http://www.frot.co.nz/nature/coconut.htm

uli, Nov 4, 5:08am
I have tried it - and all you get is coconut flakes - never the flour - and it also tastes completely different. I have given up baking, which was very easy for me as I do not like cakes and sweets anyway (never mind a proper Black Forest Cake - to which I will succumb every 2 or 3 years).

I would also suggest if you want to go low carb to slowly wean yourself off all the baked stuff - go for a primal/paleo lifestyle rather than a strictly low carb one. Much healthier and you can do that for life.

buzzy110, Nov 4, 5:42am
I'm not sure that the advice people are trying to impart is what you want to hear but I will add my voice to their's. It is better not to try and substitute your favourite high carb foods with low carb versions. It is better, at this stage at least, to just get your head around pure low carb eating. This mean concentrate on building up a wide and varied repertoire of recipes for the foods you can eat, which is basically protein from meat, fish, eggs and cheese, carbs from vegetables (low starch) and a little bit of fruit and various sundry foods such as nuts and seeds. Fats should come from natural sources such as lard, tallow, dripping, olive oil, butter, nut oils, coconut oil and avocado oil. A decent component of omega 3 is vitally important in any diet.

Once you begin to eat this way, you will find that there is very little room for the 'goodies' that once made up the bulk of your diet.

buzzy110, Nov 4, 5:52am
My diet changes all the time with the seasons and my tastes. Here is a recipe that I am currently making a lot of. You may like to adapt it to your own eating plan.

Chicken Livers with Vegetables and Cream Sauce
Chicken Livers - remove the connective tissue and cook enough for the meal you are about to eat
1 Pickling onion - peeled and chopped
¼ Red Capsicum - washed and chunky cut
5-6 Mushrooms - washed and cut into ½ or ¼s
Thick slice of Eggplant - Peeled and diced thickly
Lard/duck fat or Olive oil for frying
Approx 5Tbs Cream
Seasoning to taste (can include chilli and garlic)

Method:
Melt the fat or oil in a pan over a medium heat.
Add the vegetables, chilli & garlic if using and slowly cook to nearly done
Slice the Chicken livers and add - continue to cook, stirring every so often
Add seasoning
When it is cooked to your liking add the cream and bring to a higher heat and cook for a few minutes till it is all nice and thick.

Serve. I like silverbeet with this dish.

I had this for lunch. I have a two egg omelette wrapped around smoked salmon in my fridge for dinner and blowed if I just do not feel like eating it. I had nothing for breakfast but a cup of black plunger decaf coffee with a scant tspn of coconut oil.

There is no space, really, for baked goodies.

elliehen, Nov 4, 7:02am
.and malcovy gets in response a recipe for chicken livers!

Edited to add: .and a lecture on her wickedness for wanting to bake !

uli, Nov 4, 7:04am

uli, Nov 4, 7:06am
No - she gets lots of links to read and then think about it all - which is something that seems sorely missing in your own person ellie - the thinking and evaluation I mean .

elliehen, Nov 4, 7:08am
Damage control ;)

uli, Nov 4, 7:16am
I am glad you try to have some damage control ellie LOL :)
Even though it drives you to tears .

elliehen, Nov 4, 7:25am
Tears of laughter at Professor Tweedledum and Assistant Professor Tweedledee.

It's so funny it hurts.but also releases endorphins, so keep on with the comedy double act.

uli, Nov 4, 7:27am
There is hope that it won't hurt enough fro you to go to sleep soon .

malcovy, Nov 4, 7:50am
I am like my Father that when he was told no you can not do that, then he would attempt it anyway.He was wrong a few times:-) I always do what I want and I am not swayed by opinions, I go by my gut instinct.There are two things I am so grateful for and one of them is low carb way of life.I do a lot of researching when I am fascinated by a subject.I went gluten free but still had achy joints, heartburn, needing a sleep in afternoon and the mood swings.Then I find low carb and WOW, all symptoms disappeared and from size 16 to size 12 in a few months, eating more protein, low carb and yummy fats.I love wheat belly and others like Dr Lustig.
Thanks for the humour and the information.

uli, Nov 4, 8:14am
malcovy - that sounds very much like me - otherwise I would now sit in a wheelchair - if at all . however if you ever find out a way to produce coconut flour in your kitchen make sure to tell me . :)

elliehen, Nov 4, 8:22am
Go for it malcovy!In spite of all the above naysayers, if anyone is going to make it work it sounds as though it'll be you.

uli, Nov 4, 10:12pm
Amazing old thread - most posters have gone and were deleted. What happened in the end malcovy! Did you make it or buy it for $20 a kilo!

malcovy, Nov 4, 11:24pm
Bought it :-)

buzzy110, Nov 5, 12:26am
I am pleased that you have found a healthy, pharma free solution for your health problems. I have come to low carb for similar reasons and found exactly the same results as yourself. I was not trying to lecture you, in spite of the way elli reads it, however, I learned the hard way, that it is better not to try and create low carb substitutes for previously loved high carb goodies, but to change one's perspective entirely. I've tried the baking of low carb substitutes and have discarded it as a waste of time. Like you, I got all the advice not to as well but tried it anyway. I just thought to give you the benefit of my insight and experience. It was, in no way an order.

Btw, I forgot to add in a rasher of bacon or 3 rashers of streaky bacon to the chicken Liver recipe I posted.