Wanting ideas how I could decorate our christmas

amanda_simonp, Nov 4, 8:04am
cake - any suggestions - thank you

nzhel, Nov 4, 10:28am
Depends - are you going to ice it! or do you want to decorate the top with fruit and nuts then cook it!
A simple and effective icing would be to put on a thin layer of almond icing then cover with fondant. Make a batch of royal icing and spread over the top. Then quickly 'pat' it with a knife all over so the icing lifts up and gives the appearance of snow. Next perhaps place a sprig of holly somewhere on the cake and some 'merry christmas' words with it. You can buy both from shops that have cake decorating products or sometimes the supermarkets. I have a cute santa on little skis so have used this at times. I've also used little Xmas tree decorations that look like tiny wrapped gifts and arranged them on a cake. There are lots of Xmas cake decorations you could use. To finish off put Xmas ribbon around the cake. All very easy to do!

elliehen, Nov 4, 10:50am

amanda_simonp, Nov 5, 8:41am
thank you for this.I was thinking I would put white icing all over it (the almond icing - is that the one you can buy in supermarkets and roll it out - then was going to just cut small stars out and put them over the cake.Saw in the latest aww looked quite pretty.not sure if it will work but will ahve to give it a go.

korbo, Nov 5, 8:45am
great ideas, but did you notice most of the cakes were round. I have never made a round xmas cake, as guess you wouldnt get as many slices. yes or no.

nzhel, Nov 5, 1:50pm
Almond icing is the creamy coloured almond flavoured icing you put on the cake first. This is then covered with white fondant. I'm sure the stars would look very nice and you could do them in several sizes and perhaps decorate them with silver and red cashous.

greerg, Nov 5, 8:55pm
The fine gold or silver powder available from cake decorating shops looks good on stars.I cut out small holly leaves using a cutter from fondant that has been coloured green and make tiny berries by rolling red fondant.You can make them well ahead so they are dry and easy to handle.In fact you have reminded me that I should do that today.Shortbread stars to freeze are already on the agenda.

jenjen76, Nov 5, 10:14pm
Korbo, I make round christmas cakes and find the best way to slice them is to cut a quarter from the cake, then cut slices off the quarter rather than wedges. Then you can either have the whole slice, or cut the slice into two trianlge shaped pieces, each with a bit of icing on (i.e. icing from the top of the cake on one piece, and icing from the side of the cake on the other). It makes cutting a small piece off easier, small wedges seem to fall apart too easily.mmmmm.mine's in the oven now.smells like christmas!

gardie, Nov 5, 11:28pm
I smiled when I read this korbo - I have never made a square one!I do just cut slices off my round one though (as if it was square).S.

kinna54, Nov 6, 3:55am
I always make round cakes too! I love the star icing effect, so many gorgeous designs around, even my old hands can handle the marzipan these days, so much you can do with it.