Can you freeze Butternut! Cooked or fresh!

vix.tribe, Nov 8, 11:46pm
Have a recipe that uses diced roasted butternut, and it's a family favourite, but they're in season for such a short time.Is it possible to roast them and then freeze, or to freeze raw!

buzzy110, Nov 9, 5:29am
You could just use different varieties of pumpkins. At the moment crown pumpkins are cheap and plentiful and those babies are just as sweet and delicious as butternut but not up to the standard set by the king of pumpkin -buttercup.

When buying butter cup be careful not to get suckered into the watery, tasteless supermarket squash. Some people cannot tell the difference.

gardie, Nov 9, 5:51am
Was just reading on here (thread about freezing carrots) that someone just cuts their pumpkin into serving sized pieces then roasts it.I really should try it as I usually have a piece of not so fresh pumpkin in the back of my fridge.

uli, Nov 9, 5:53am
I freeze cooked pumpkin all the time. Often it is too much to eat in 1 or 2 sittings, so the rest goes into the freezer.

Butternut is the one pumpkin that lasts forever. I grew so many last year that we still have some plus this years crop of course (which were two different varieties).

I left 10 on the shelf to see how long they would last - so far only 1 has rotted, the rest are still fine. Had one the other day to see how they were inside and still as nice as ever.

If you love them then I would recommend you grow a patch in your front or back yard. All you need is some holes dug and some fertilizer (compost, horse manure, sheep manure or whatever is handy.