Substituting low fat ingrediants in cheesecake

dinkypinky, Nov 1, 8:30am
Make a delicious cheesecake the other day - however it has cream, condensed milk and cream cheese in it!Could I use one or more ofthe low fat versions of these three ingredients without affecting the setting of cheesecake/flavour!

245sam, Nov 1, 9:41am
dinkypinky, I would not recommend using the lite version of sweetened condensed milk.Although I have not tried doing so personally I'm sure I recall someone here on this MB having done so with disappointing results.Likewise with the cream cheese, the end result from a setting point of view is usually better if the traditional cream cheese is used, however the addition of some gelatine may overcome any such setting problems.
If you're happy to use a different recipe, there are recipes that use low/lower-fat ingredientse.g. cottage cheese, ricotta.I recall many years ago, making a cheesecake, once, that used sieved cottage cheese instead of cream cheese and it was ! ok ! but certainly not the decadent smooth delight that cheesecakes usually are.

Hope that helps.:-))

gardie, Nov 1, 5:21pm
Agree with sam - better to find the low fat recipe.Low fat cream cheese will not 'set' - once beaten it seems to stay runnyish.If you add gelatine it will change the texture altogether but definitely does help it set.Ricotta cheesecake is not too bad - different. but not too bad.

dinkypinky, Nov 2, 2:15am
thanks for your response.Interestingly, the recipe alsohas gelatine.The cheesecakewas more of a slice - texture much like marshmellow.Very yummy too!Obviously will just have to eat in moderation due to thefact it has cream, cream cheese and condensed milk!

wildflower, Nov 2, 3:00am
I always substitue normal cond milk, cream cheese, sour cream etc for lite versions, never had a problem.

guest, Jan 11, 9:19am
Alakrzaam-infoamation found, problem solved, thanks!

guest, Jan 13, 1:52pm
Hi!!I have been looking for a ripece for a Japanese Cheesecake forever... I even tried baking one earlier this year, but the ripece called for lemon juice (the only Japanese cheesecake I've eaten was mildly sweet, and did not have a lemon flavor)... Anyway, I decided to give it a try, 'coz I thought the lemon would help with the egg smell... The cake while it was soft and spongy, tasted so lemon-y, it was awful... Anyway, your ripece sounds perfect for me... The only question I have is, does it smell too egg-y??? I was thinking of adding vanilla essence, but wanted to pick your brain as whether you've tried adding vanilla as a variation to your cheesecake... And, if so, how much did you add to your ripece???Thanks a ton...

guest, Jan 14, 10:00am
Hi Grace,Thanks! I don't have much decorating idea at that moemnt, so I thot might as well just topped it with cocoa powder and chocolate roses, so as to make it REAL chocky cheesecake! :p