How to cook corn without the silks

dbab, Nov 1, 6:42pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=YnBF6bv4Oe4

I'm so going to try this when I have fresh corn.

(Copied from a knitting forum)

sclaredy_cat, Nov 1, 6:50pm
*like* ;)

pickles7, Nov 1, 7:20pm
great tip. thanks.

dezzie, Nov 1, 8:29pm
Thats so easy! thank you, I'll be doing it that way from now on.

nzhel, Nov 1, 10:38pm
What a good tip - you'd need a good sharp knife for the cutting tho as I've found corn stalks quite tough to cut thru. Will definitely try it tho.

tania58, Nov 2, 6:18am
I have a great fresh corn salad recipe and the main problem I have is getting rid of the pesky silks . so time consuming . so will try this. thanks ! sweet wee man as well : )

samanya, Nov 2, 6:26am
I'm ahead of my time!
That's the way I've always done it
*smirks*
Now wait for someone to tell us that the microwave destroys he food value of corn.
My Nan always told me .when picking corn, walk down to the garden to pick it & run back to cook it.

uli, Dec 30, 10:07pm
So microwaves have been around for 30 years - I really am behind the times LOL :)

kay141, Dec 30, 10:31pm
Looks like you are behind the times.
According to Wikipedia, the first microwave oven was sold in 1947, the first for home use in 1955, but it was too large and too expensive to be widely used. The first countertop microwave oven was sold in 1967. So on my calculations, the first one that really was the start of the modern microwave was sold 45 years ago. I know my eldest child got one for a wedding present and that was over 30 years ago.

punkinthefirst, Dec 30, 10:48pm
Re microwaves.remember the shops that sold microwave ovens and paraphernalia exclusively!

kiwitrish, Dec 30, 11:27pm
Love it.Thanks for that.

dbab, Dec 31, 2:26am
I had to watch this again as I'd forgotten from last year, so I'm bumping for the new season corn.

vintagekitty, Dec 31, 4:49am
I remember my parents buying their first microwave, when I was small, it was huge. And my mum had stacks of "stuff" for cooking roasts,corned beef, cakes etc etc. The roasts & cornbeef were pretty foul. She even went to cooking classes on how to cook using it, My dad was cleaning out some old boxes of reciepts and found the warrenty card. They paid $2299 for it. Madness.

olwen, Dec 31, 4:56am
A flatmate's boyfriend brought one back from overseas in 1974.There were none in NZ at the time,It had a metal shelf and no turntable.

karlymouse, Dec 31, 5:57am
Heck yes I remember paying off my first microwave, it was nearly a thousand dollars . and large- came with lessons etc. and always made the chicken rubbery . they also had a strange 'smell'. I still think they are really only good for heating, reheating, melting, fast tracking vegetables and making custard.

jhan, Dec 31, 6:01am
Thats pretty good.

uli, Dec 31, 6:32am
. and apparently you need one if you are unable to get the silk of your corn cobs in any other way LOL :)

vintagekitty, Dec 31, 6:39am
That is brilliant, I cooked corn tonight using the microwave, so easy, thankyou for the link

schnauzer11, Dec 31, 9:11am
You and me both samanya! I've been doing this for nearly 30 years,thought everyone did!.Wow-we could have been teaching classes!

pickles7, Jan 3, 5:36am
I wouldn't cook corn any other way, 3 minutes a cob for my microwave.I don't cut it like suggested in the you tube video, the silks come away perfectly every time after you peel the leaves back.

uli, Jan 3, 5:45am
Well I never had a microwave in my life (see above LOL) - and I grow thousands of corn cobs each year - and I never had any silk "problems" in my life. Maybe you are a bit too precious!

cutezie, Jan 3, 8:11am
Have to rush out and buy corn on the cob. Bestest tip ever

dbab, Nov 1, 6:42pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=YnBF6bv4Oe4

I'm so going to try this when I have fresh corn.

(Copied from a knitting forum)