Long life baking for hampers!

melissajane10, Nov 10, 12:08am
I'm planning on making hampers for the inlaws again this year. Last year i made them but most of the things needed to be made within a few days of giving them and i was so stressed out working all day then coming home and spending the night cooking!
This year i'm wanting to make things that are a bit more shelf stable that i can make a week or two out from xmas and they will still have time to eat it.
Does anyone have any suggestions! I've thought about different preserves but if i do that i would like to make unusual recipes that they wouldn't have tried before.
Also i'm a student so on a limited income at the moment so nothing extremely extravagant!

greerg, Nov 10, 12:30am
It is much easier if you can do things one at a time in the evening -I left things too late last year too but am more organised this year.Shortbread and fruit mince pies both keep well in the freezer. and shortbread is fine in an airtight container for several weeks. The Bounty truffles posted by Nauru a year or two ago too will be fine for a couple of weeks.I have just made mango chutney from canned mangoes which is very nice, and I quite often put a small bottle of spicy apricot sauce in Christmas baskets.I think that would be fine made from canned apricots. Lemon curd is very easy to make too.Fudge will keep well in the refrigerator for at least four weeks.I print labels for the home-made produce and put them in cellophane bags tied with red, green and white curling ribbons.Last year I piled things on Warehouse tin Christmas trays, covered them in a big sheet of clear cellophane and tied it at the top with ribbon.The trays were only a couple of dollars each at the Two for Three pre-Christmas sale the Warehouse usually has.

ayglepaygle, Nov 10, 5:03am
Bumping for more ideas! I was very busy the few days just before Christmas making hampers and would like ideas for things to make ahead of time. Thanks

lilyfield, Nov 10, 5:17am
any sweets like fudge or brittles--- any cookies--truffels- lemon honey-- spiced nuts-dukka- herbed salt- infused oils- bathsalts- home made candles-

iriegirl, Nov 12, 2:54am
greerg, would you be so kind as to post your recipes for your mango chutney & spicy apricot sauce! Me mam used to make the best spicy apricot sauce but she passed away suddenly and I never got the recipe, I tried looking through all of her cookbooks, but with no luck :(
TIA

jbsouthland, Nov 12, 6:32am
Bathroom Baskets are great.collect goodies over the year .nail polish remover ,cotton balls,homemade bath salts and bombs, wash cloths,body wash,pompom thingees,moisturiser.all these can be gathered cheaply on specialand if budget allows even a cotton Bath robe.bottle of wine and Chocolates .perhaps a novel ( second handeven ) you know they'd like to read while soaking. I recycle the Cane baskets Ive been given but a decorated cut downboxwould look great too.

duckmoon, Nov 12, 7:15am
Fudge improves with time. You can make that early

Also what about raspberry jam. The simplest of jams to make .

Merguines keep well in an airtight container.

duckmoon, Nov 12, 7:19am
Also, I made Christmas cakes in terra-cotta flower pot - 11.5 cm serve ten slices.

And you can make four flowerpots from a mixture of Christmas cake.
Line the flower pot with baking paper.

duckmoon, Nov 12, 7:20am
Also cocnut ice

k.b.moss, Nov 12, 7:47am
how long do these last for and r they best in fridge/freezer/or airtight container!

greerg, Nov 12, 8:16am
Sure Iriegirl.The apricot sauce doesn't remain asb right an orange as the bought varieties but I find that freezing it until I use it maintains the colour reasonably well.It does darken if just stored in the sealed bottle.
Spicy Apricot Sauce
2.1 kg fresh or frozen apricots
1.35 kg sugar
300 mls water
1½ litres white vinegar
2 teasp white pepper
6 teasp common salt
4 large cloves garlic crushed
1 teasp ground ginger
2 teasp ground cloves
¼ teasp cayenne pepper
Boil all ingredients for 1 hour or until desired thickness- remembering that it thickens a little on cooling.Mouli or sieve and bottle.
Mango Chutney
Four 425 grm tins of mangoes
500 grms cooking apples
350 grms onions
1200 mls spiced vinegar
2 teasp ground ginger
1 teasp salt
600 grms brown sugar
Drain mangoes (can use 1 kg sliced fresh mangoes if available).Peel, core and slice the apples and put in a bowl with the mangoes.Sprinkle with the salt and leave overnight.Next day drain and rinse the fruit.Peel and finely dice the onions and put in a saucepan with the mangoes, apples, vinegar and ginger.Bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit and onions are soft.Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.Continue simmering, stirring occasionally until the chutney is very thick.Pot into warm jars and seal.Makes approximately 1.5kg.

duckmoon, Nov 12, 8:39am
Fudge, airtight, cupboard
Jam, sterilized jar, cupboard
Meriginue, airtight,cupboard

litedelites, Nov 12, 7:35pm
What about biscotti, for a savoury bent pickles.Good luck

iriegirl, Nov 15, 3:14am
greerg, thanks very much for posting those recipes, will try the mango chutney first, then wait patiently for central otago apricots for the sauce :o)

punkinthefirst, Nov 21, 8:47am
Google"Cookies in a jar" for some ideas for cookie mixes.

coreblimey, Nov 21, 9:01am
This is my list for Christmas hampers.I probably won't make all of them but these are the things I like and have done before and know are good.
Dukkah
Peanut Butter
Jam
Preserved Lemons
Herbed salt
truffles
Fruit cordial
Gingerbread men
Apple pie
Yoghurt!
Cheese
Cookies in a Jar
BBQ Sauce
Caramelised onions

jbsouthland, Nov 21, 10:28pm
NZ House and Garden this Month has a recipe for Pancake mix that you then bottle in decorative jar/packaging ,,,add instructions label Howto make up .Ideal for including in a hamper where Kids reside.

kaddiew, Nov 21, 10:37pm
Citrus spiced sugar - easy to make, keeps in a jar in pantry for ages, and good for sprinkling on pancakes, muffins etc.

melissajane10, Nov 22, 1:43am
thanks guys, lots of good ideas in here!
Have looked at some unusual preserve recipes too so have decided on some of them as well as peppermint fudge, dukka, xmas fruit mince pies and mini xmas cakes. going for a white and silver theme this year!

jbsouthland, Nov 22, 4:32am
Another recipe featured in NZH&GMag was Peppermint Bark.melt white chocolatespread thinly on baking paper covered slice tin .sprinkle crushed Peppermint caneover and set.break up into slithers and cellophane bag .looks lovely .and easy peasy.