Food Processor or Whiz Stick?

thetron, Mar 26, 7:10am
I am looking at buying a food processor as I'm sick of using a seive to make pumpkin soup smooth and would love to be able to make hummus, however my friend told me I would be better off with a whiz stick. Can anyone suggest which I would be better off with for general kitchen purposes? Thank you!

raewyn64, Mar 26, 7:35am
I got a stick about 4 years ago and found it really handy as it is small so easy to grab and store away. I found it was good for blending. I have just bought a food processor now for bigger jobs like baking etc but it is bulkier so I would grab my blender stick still for smaller jobs.

twinsforus, Mar 26, 7:46am
Whizz sticks are great for soup, but get a stainless steel one as the plastic ones don't like the heat of hot soup... ... . . *blushes* Mines a funny shape now! ! !

lilyfield, Mar 26, 7:54am
you need both-so buy the bigger one first and put the stick blender on your Christmas wish list

thetron, Mar 26, 8:04am
Thank you! Are the blenders with the plastic bowls okay to do soup in?

dezzie, Mar 26, 8:31am
lol twins mine went a funny shape as well doing pasta sauce.
And yes, plastic bowls on food processors/blenders are fine with hot things, just be careful it doesn't spit it out all over you.

lyl_guy, Mar 26, 8:51am
Just don't try to whizz ice with it! I have a high powered metal whizz stick... great, BUT when I tried to whizz up a shake with ice... DISASTER! ! Fruit smoothie ALL over me, and the kitchen, lol. I laughed till I cried... . then I had to clean up.

duckmoon, Mar 26, 9:06am
I have both.
I use my stick blender for some quanities and for things like pureeing the soup will still in the pot.

I use my food processor for grating and chopping stuff (carrots, cheese) and making my chocolate cake.

tiogapass, Mar 26, 9:09am
Most bowls on food processors only take small quantities of liquid. you would be better off with a jar type blender or a stick blender. The main advantage with a stick blender is that you don't have to transfer hot liquid between containers.

cookessentials, Mar 26, 4:41pm
I guess it depends on the sorts of jobs you wish to do with either of these. A stick blender is usually used for liquid or soft foods to either pulp into a smooth soup, sauce or suchlike. A kitchen whizz can also be used for this, but also has the advantage of a chopping blade, a whip and often various grating and shredding blades for other jobs. Many kitchen whizz have between a 3-4 litre bowl which should be adequate for taking any soups you wish to puree. When adding a hot liquid to the bowl, it is always best to let it cool slightly before adding to the bowl so that you do not crack it. I have pureed my soups in my whizz for years and it works extremely well. I think if you bake alot, then the whizz would be the most practical addition at this stage with perhaps the stick blender added later as sommeone else mentioned above.

sultana0, Mar 28, 9:48am
things are cheap enough now to buy one of each and I think I have seen a whizz that comes with a stick blender? ? ? (Briscoes)? ? The stick is handy for softer type blends and aolis and sauces and the whizz is good for firmer types and ice cubes etc in larger volumes.

doug57, Dec 12, 4:50pm
I hardly ever use my food processor, but use the whizz stick HEAPS, plus it's a doddle to wash and dry! If your main problems are pumpkin soup and hummus. . go for the whizz stick all the way :)