Annual plan for jam and chutney. Plus fresh food

duckmoon, Oct 30, 3:04am
Currently, I am buzzing. School fair yesterday and our deli stAll raised $4300!

Unfortunately, I didn't take on the job until july, so we were chasing our tails, and missing seasonal opportunitys.

So, two questions
1. Can you tell me what we should be making (jams and chutneys) at what time od the year. (cooking seasonally and cheaply)
2. Looking for some ideas for fresh food, this year we had hummus, pate and crostinis. Plus sticky toffee puddings. Any thing else which is cost effective.

Thank you wise cooks

duckmoon, Oct 31, 8:46am
Any one!

elliehen, Oct 31, 10:22am
1.Make jams when the summer harvest is at its peak.raspberries, apricots, plums late December/January.For tomato, zucchini, cucumber relishes etc wait until the home gardens produce.January/Feb.

2.Fresh fruit cubes threaded on bamboo skewers is a popular item

evorotorua, Oct 31, 4:52pm
well done duckmoon. That is a huge effort. I bet you will be hunted down for the next one! I don't really know anything to help but maybe a good time to start asking around for jars!

gardie, Oct 31, 5:26pm
The Australian Womens Weekly Preserves book will give you some great ideas if you can get hold of it.Will probably be worth the $20 or so investment.

lythande1, Oct 31, 5:57pm
When the stuff is in supply of course. Not the minute you can buy it, wait a bit, then the price drops.
Or in my case, when I start picking excess.

duckmoon, Oct 31, 8:35pm
yes, we had to purchase jars this year. I don't mind purchasing new lids, but at nearly $1 per jar, it bumps up the cost of the jar (and the price we can sell it for).

I took up the job in July, but since I am already on deck for the next gala, I will start asking for jars in the school notice in two weeks time. So, hopefully, we can collect 400 jars over the next 50 weeks.

elliehen, Oct 31, 8:56pm
There are always jars in recycling centres.Another idea to boost sales, (which a local church here does for its baked goods stall) is to print the recipe and attach it to the item.That makes buyers feel they are getting a really good deal.

indy95, Oct 31, 9:40pm
Yes, elliehen that is a good idea. I have also found some really good jars for use on fundraising stalls at the local recycling centres and in the local charity shops. Colourful labels and ribbons around the necks of jars are another good way to attract customers.