Solo Xmas ideas

Page 1 / 2
bellabella3, Oct 29, 6:59pm
Hello all you wonderful foodies! If YOU were having Xmas Day by yourself this year (by choice).what exactly would you have to eat and drink to make the perfect self-indulgent day!

willman, Oct 29, 7:09pm
I would make a small trifle,for myself,for dessert.With a small fesh fruit salad.

kay141, Oct 29, 8:15pm
I hate trifle. Dessert is well down the list but was planning to maybe buy a crayfish or some other luxury seafood.

willman, Oct 29, 11:35pm
How about a small potato salad,a green salad - Lettuce or coleslaw and some slices of ham from the supermarket Deli.

ruby2shoes, Oct 29, 11:46pm
a big seafood feast, with lots of different salads.followed by a lemony dessert cos I like them.

motorbo, Oct 29, 11:47pm
if i was alone i would hunt down a three course menu in a recipe book.one that required some effort, so i could keep myself busy listening to music .supping on a nice bubbly and making an amazing creation

lilyfield, Oct 30, 12:01am
I have grilled Haloumi cheese -tomatoes- crackers and pickled gherkins. My absolute treat --and icecream.
And then I go and help the less fortunates at the Sallys to serve dinner to them.

buzzy110, Oct 30, 12:46am
OMG. We actually agree on something. I'd stick it to desserts and go and buy a dozen fresh oysters in the shell and have with a half bottle of sparkling wine. Then I'd probably make a small aioli (real with egg yolk, lemon juice, olive oil, seasoning and the contents of a whole roasted bulb of garlic squeezed in at the end and blended in) to eat with fresh raw asparagus spears and a nice glass of cold riesling. A simple pan fried duck breast with a simple green salad and vinaigrette dressing for the main and finally a small selection of cheeses with a small glass of dessert wine. Then I'd blob out and watch a couple of great DVD's. If you felt like it you could get a couple of fabulous chocolates.

davidt4, Oct 30, 12:52am
That would do me perfectly.Probably not the chocolates.

kay141, Oct 30, 1:24am
Riesling as well provided it is dry but I'll give the dessert wine a miss, thanks. Sweet wine is not to my taste.

bellabella3, Oct 30, 2:02am
Yum. But I'm talking real indulgence here.if you could have anything you wanted during the day.what would it be!

iriegirl, Oct 30, 2:27am
Mine would be a dozen fresh scallops (pref from Nelson) followed by a large piece of salmon, followed by Central Otago stone fruit and some nice cheeses. And all enjoyed with a chilled bottle of Moet, or if money was no object, Dom Perignon !

bedazzledjewels, Oct 30, 2:36am
What a fun thread. I'll have to think about it. Breakfast would be the most humungous, amazing cooked breakfast ever. Which means no need for lunch. But dinner.hm.

bellabella3, Oct 30, 2:40am
NOW we're talking! Love this!

ruby2shoes, Oct 30, 2:47am
eggs benedict for brekky.Or whatever its called with salmon instead of ham.

uli, Oct 30, 2:48am
I would have homemade fermented salmon with an aioli, vegetables of the season (depending of what's in the garden), most likely a fresh green salad, some beans and some tomatoes, followed by a rare steak with mushrooms and onions and lots of berries and cream for dessert.

indy95, Oct 30, 3:36am
Breakfast would be a slice of toasted sourdough ( a rare treat nowadays ) with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Lunch would be a pan fried duck breast with a simple salad and a glass of something bubbly and expensive and for dessert strawberries maybe combined with other berries.

ruby2shoes, Oct 30, 4:08am
oooh yes, lemony dessert with loadsa berries on top!

kay141, Oct 30, 4:09am
Steak with all the trimmings and scallops are regulars on the menu here so it would be something a bit more special like crayfish or Bluff Oysters.

davidt4, Oct 30, 4:11am
It's a pity that Bluff oysters are out of season at Christmas.

evorotorua, Oct 30, 4:40am
I would get the trailer guy in LA to come and make a swiss cheese and ham toasted sandwich with mayo for my breakfast. (I have no idea who he is but 23 years have passed and I can still taste it!) I would have a few glasses of the bubbly wine I like but don't know what it is called. (If anyone can help it was around 5 years ago, I think it was Jacobs Creek and it was dry and yeasty, aroma of freshly baked bread) I would have a load of tasty cheese, crumbly but smooth to the tongue. I would have Hema worst. I would have dutch chicken croquettes from my mother with mustard and apple sauce. Finally I would have beef stroganoff, rice and peas all mixed together on the plate (no mushrooms) and add a little salt. Probably have some chocolate mousse and cream too. Not many veges but it is Christmas and veges are not a passion of mine I am afraid. That all sounds very OTT but that would be a dream for me.of course all calorie free and no hangover.

kay141, Oct 30, 4:42am
I know and no other oysters are as good.

davidt4, Oct 30, 4:59am
That sounds more like a Death Row last meal than a Christmas dinner.

eastie3, Oct 30, 5:07am
If I could have anything at all,it would be whitebait fritters with lemon to start.Some crayfish for Mr E.Asparagus with lemon and butter,a gorgeous salad with various home grown lettuces,avocado,grated zucchini,basil,flat leaf parsley,mint,cherry toms red,yellow and orange peppers and red onion with a pomegranate balsamic vinegar dressing.Herb and parmesan crusted rack of lamb,cooked just so.Jersey bennes,steamed.
My favourite limoncello trifle,a fresh fruit salad that includes among other fruits passionfruit,mango,pineapple,b-
anana,stonefruit like apricot and peaches,all in a light sugar syrup with a good dash of peach schnapps.The family's favourite pav,and for Mr E a good blue cheese or two to savour with his annual cigar on the deck with one of the chosen fellow indulgers in the family.A cousins husband manages a wine shop and if they come down to us it's always a real treat,otherwise we get some great deals.

I'm with evorotorua #22,it will be calorie and hangover free.

aktow, Oct 30, 11:18am
because i am over over over chubby and have this food rarely,, i would go to kfc,,i love the new buffalo wings.