Batter bread

darkestangel1, Oct 23, 6:20am
I have never heard of this - I don't understand it - so can someone please explain it to me!

cybertao, Oct 27, 7:17am
I just went to the trouble of typing this out, so thought I'd repost it here in case someone can make use of the recipe with the current bread shortage due to the gas pipe leak.

Here's a recipe from one of my favourite books, The New Zealand Bread Book by Mary Browne, Helen Leach, Nancy Tichborne.

This quick bread became popular during the a bakers' strike, when even those who had never made bread before were forced to make their own or resort to scones and biscuits. No needing is required and the sort rising time of 15 minutes takes place in a slow oven.

1 Tbs honey
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold milk
1 dsp dried yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt

1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal
1 cup rye flour
1 cup fine cornmeal
Any combination of flour can be used, even all white.

Measure the honey into a large bowl. Add the boiling water and stir to dissolve. Add the cold milk and stir again. The temperature of the liquid should be comfortably warm. Sprinkle the yeast over the surface of the liquid. Do not stir. Leave in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Combine the flours and salt. Grease a large loaf tin or two smaller ones.
When the yeast liquor is frothy, stir it gently to mix thoroughly. Tip the dry ingredients into the yeast liquor. Beat well with a wooden spoon.
The consistency should be that of a spooning batter. They should be no more than one-third to one-half full.
Place in a cold, thermostatically controlled oven. Turn the oven on to 100°C for 15 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 185°C and bake for 45 minutes.

edens_house, Oct 27, 7:50am
Thats sounds really nice Cybertao. Gona give it a go.