Biscuits using a lime jelly

Page 1 / 2
korbo, Oct 26, 8:29am
Last week.*SOMEWHERE*I read of a recipe that uses a packet of Jelly to make biscuits.
For the life of me, I cant remember where I read it. I have just sent a pile of magazines away to daughter.
Has anyone else seen this, or have the recipe. It seemed so easy, and I am sure it madea large quantity. thanks.

skippie1, Oct 26, 8:41am
Korbo, was it biscuits or a cake! see if I can fine it amongst mine, because I think I saved it.

skippie1, Oct 26, 8:43am
Korbo I saved a cake recipe, here it is. Madeira Cake.
As a cake decorator this is the recipe I always use. It comes out lovely and moist and keeps that way for days. Makes 2 medium cakes or 1 large cake. Gave this recipe on here a few weeks ago and baker was delighted how well it turned out.
1 cup milk
125gm butter. Bring these to the boil
In a mixer, beat 4 eggs and gradually adds 2 cups sugar, 1 pkt lemon jelly crystals and 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat until thick, then add 2 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix then quickly stir in the boiled milk and butter. Turn the mixture into two 7 or 8 inch lined tins and bake 180c for 20 minutes. If using a novelty shaped pan bake the whole mixture for 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer comes out clean.

skippie1, Oct 26, 8:45am
Jelly slice:JELLYSLICE
Base:
1 Packet any plain sweet biscuits crushed)
170g butter melted

Filling:
1 x 400g tin sweetened condensed milk
Juice of 2 lemons
3 level teaspoons gelatine
1/4 cup boiling water

Topping:
1 packet red jelly crystals (you can choose different colour if desired)
Water
Method
- Base: mix crushed bisuits with melted butter. Press firmly into a slab tin. Place in the fridge until cold and set.
- Filling: In a medium bowl, blend condensed milk, juice and gelatine (disssolved in boiling water). Spread over base and refrigerate until set.
- Topping: Make up jelly as directed on packet, cool and pour over slice. Chill until set. Cut into squares to serve.

pam.delilah (584 )6:46 pm, Thu 6 Oct #2

erewhon04, Oct 26, 4:42pm
Very keen to try that madeira cake tomorrow, Skippie1.

korbo, Oct 26, 6:14pm
It was a biscuit recipe, and it showed the lovely large looking lime coloured biscuits. I have gone thru all my other magazines, and just cant find it anywhere. I know I did see it, cos thought it would be great to make in green and red for xmas. Why I didnt tear it out or write it down I just dont know.
I am sure someone will come in here with a recipe.
I think you used the jelly instead of sugar

rainrain1, Oct 26, 6:22pm
I would try the lime jelly crystals with a chocolate chip biscuit recipe, omitting the choc chips,Or you could leave them in as well.Weigh the sugar and make up to the right amount with the crystals

indy95, Oct 26, 7:55pm
I have seen that recipe somewhere just in the last few days, korbo. Now, of course I can't remember where but it will come to me eventually. I know there was a recipe in the older Edmonds books.

massived, Oct 26, 7:58pm
It was in one of the mailers from Countdown or New World. Sounds yuck to me though :)

245sam, Oct 26, 9:27pm
korbo, the following recipe is from my old (1970's!) Edmond's book - the metric conversions in brackets are mine based on the actual conversion of 1oz = 28.4g.

ORANGE CRISPS
4oz (115g) butter
1 packet orange jelly crystals
1oz (28g) sugar
1 egg
2oz (57g/55g) each ofcoconutandground rice
4oz (115g) flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Cream the butter with the jelly crystals and sugar.Add the stiffly-beaten egg and then the dry ingredients (previously mixed together).Place in small spoonfuls on a cold greased tray.
Bake at350°F (180°C)for15-20 minutes.

Hope that helps.:-))

52many, Oct 26, 11:42pm
I made this as well but I used chocolate biscuits and a raspberry jelly and gingernut biscuits with the lime. Kids at school didn't leave any so they must have been good!

ballito, Oct 27, 12:55am
It was in the flyer from New World and was also in one of the food magazines but not sure what it was called - the magazine afiliated with New World

nzhel, Oct 27, 2:45am
Yes it was definitely in the New World mailer.

nana_gee, Oct 27, 3:01am
Jelly Biscuits
100gms softened butter: 2 pkts Lime jelly: Cream together, add 1 egg-- beat well, add 1 1/2 cups flour: 1 teaspoon baking powder. Roll into small balls, flatten with a fork.180c for 10 minutes--till just starting to colour around the edges--don't brown all over.
This recipe was in this weeks New World flyer.
Made them last night--kids liked them.

fifie, Oct 27, 3:06am
WhichNW mailer was it in this weeks or last, i have a plain biscuit recipe i used to make at xmas using lime or red jelly crystals similar to 245sam's many moons ago, am keen to see this latest one to.

sclaredy_cat, Oct 27, 5:15am
This sounds just like a recipe that has been in our family for years. They were the first thing I ever baked on my own. Any flavor jelly is fine, my favorite was strawberry. They are crisp but chewy and yes don't let them brown at all or you lose the colour. I'm all nostalgic now :)

goose_91, Oct 27, 6:44am
We made them this week with raspberry jelly and chocolate chips- tastes like jellytip ice cream! Also make cola ones, they were pretty yum too!

korbo, Oct 27, 8:28am
wow, thank you, yes it was in the new world mailer. have cut it out now and it is in my recipe book.
cant wait to make some.

wildflower, Oct 28, 2:29am
Yeah it was in the mailer to make for Halloween.Don't know about green biscuits any other time of the year ;)

erewhon04, Oct 28, 9:29am
And here's a vote for Korbo's madeira cake.It's exceptionally moist, easy to make, and very delicious.

dealz4all, Oct 28, 6:52pm
Please could some kind person post recipe here Many thanks

deerhunter1962, Nov 2, 1:40am
Hey kabo thanks for your madera recipe, i never make madeira cake as i find it dry, but since erewhono and put a comment up im now keen to make your recipe thank you

245sam, Nov 2, 2:44am
Which recipe are you wanting dealz4all!
The Madeira Cake recipe was posted by skippie1 (not korbo) above at#3and the Jelly Biscuits recipe was posted above, by nana_gee, at#15.:-))

stu3, Nov 2, 2:52am
Used to make these Jelly Biscuits when my sons were young, 30 years ago. Great for birthday parties.Used to flatten with wooden cotton reel and got a pretty pattern on top.

Jelly Biscuits
100g butter, 1 packet jelly crystals, 1/4 C sugar, 1 egg, 1&1/2 C flour,
1 tsp baking powder.
Melt butter, add jelly, sugar and egg and mix then add dry ingredients and mix well. Roll into balls and lightly flatten on tray. Bake 180 C, 15-20 mins.

sclaredy_cat, Nov 2, 5:11am
Oh my. I have made these literally hundreds of times over the years and never thought of doing that. So I followed your advice on the weekend and you are right, very reminiscent of jelly tip ice cream! Yum!