Got new dentures 6 days ago need some ideas please

tishan, Oct 23, 4:41am
im starving lol i really feel like a roast but i know thats not gonna happen lol, so far ive managed scrambled eggs and cups of soup im getting really sick of it i would really appreaciate your help

jessie981, Oct 23, 4:50am
Mashed potato & gravy
Salmon rissoles
Curried eggs
Macaroni cheese
Fish pie (not my choice)
Roast chicken pieces & shred
Spaghetti pie - tin spaghetti in a caserole dish. Top with mashed potato, bacon & grated cheese

kinna54, Oct 23, 5:39am
shepherds pie, anything with mince should be okay. Omelette. Pureed canned fruit with yoghurt or custards,(I lived on seameal custard for days) for a treat make a mini pavlova, (it was the only thing DIL could eat after tonsilectomy), mashed pumpkin, potato or kumara with loads of gravy, I was awhile before I ventured to meat.
Love Jessies spaghetti pie idea, sounds yummy.

jessie981, Oct 23, 5:48am
Good standby ifunexpected visitors arrive for lunch. Kids love it too

petal1955, Oct 23, 6:05am
If you dont have a stick blender.its worth investing in one.then you can whizz what ever food you want to a mush and eat.did this years ago when I got my new dentures.

chooky, Oct 23, 11:47am
Yep, hubby got his in August. I mashed all our dinners for a week before and put them in the freezer, so he could at least have meat and veges everynight. i found lunch was the hardest. So did mac cheese, pasta, spaggs, baked beans and put them in the flask already heated. He now eats alot of cream cheese, avacado, salmon mixed together with lemon juice, just by itself or on soft bread. Its not so much that he cant eat it, its that the teeth are now loose and fall out. Hes booked in for his alignment 3rd dec.Good luck.

devalois, Oct 24, 3:49am
I swear by POLIDENT.have had my upper denture for ages, but wouldn't even consider going without "gluing" it in.can eat everything except bite into an apple.no biggie there, just cut into slices. devalois

jessie981, Oct 24, 6:49am
I can eat anything, includind biting into apples

sweater, Oct 24, 7:40am
I am having real problems with new dentures, lower right side only, been back several times & think it is OK for a few days & then getting sore in a different spot, also they are lifting up a lot, any one with ideas, is this normal, will it get better, they are my second set so not the first time I have had dentures, still eating soft food after 2 months!

oramac, Oct 24, 7:47am
I think you all might need better dentists, maybe someone older. A real old dentist did mine 14 years ago. I was eating normally within a week, they still fit fine and I don't use "glue".

connor2003, Oct 24, 9:36pm
If you are having trouble with ulcers (from seeds rubbing gums) under dentures line the dentures with zig zag papers.I've been doing this for years and it still works

tishan, Oct 25, 2:40am
thank you so much for all the advice and i will try some of those ideas, any idea how long it is until the swelling goes down

chooky, Oct 25, 8:07am
As I said, hubby had his done in August and they told him 3 months, he uses glue now to keep them in, only the bottom ones, and goes back in Dec.

245sam, Oct 25, 8:44am
tishan, having had dentures now for 30+ years I cannot recall the time frame for "how long it is until the swelling goes down".DH went without any teeth for a good 3 months and by the end of that time he could eat virtually anything (including steak and other similar meats) - an early days real favourite of his was salmon in parsley sauce.I had my gums (upper and lower) stitched from side to side and dentures straight on top - my stomach ruled and with careful pain management after a couple of days I was eating most things but not steaks and other meats that needed a lot of chewing.
A word of warning though re mince - especially if you have unstitched gums please don't eat mince until your gums have healed because the small pieces of mince can become lodged in the sockets and cause infection - meat loaf should be ok but not mince as in shepherds pie, mince stew, etc where the pieces of meat are quite small.

All the best for quick healing and healthy gums.:-))

greerg, Oct 26, 3:10am
An older dentist is best.Daughter is a young dentist and even she says that while her generation are often more concerned with patient comfort, older dentists usually have a great deal more experience both with extractions and with denture fitting, since these are now much less common in general dental practice.

bildasteve, Oct 26, 3:27am
Lots of smoothies, put banana, berries, yoghurt, fruit, weetbix, ice cream, milk, juice - not necessaraly all together but you can get lots of food in there!

245sam, Oct 26, 8:44am
tishan, having had dentures now for 30+ years I cannot recall the time frame for "how long it is until the swelling goes down".Almost 40 years ago DH went without any teeth for a good 3 months and by the end of that time he could eat virtually anything (including steak and other similar meats) - an early days real favourite of his was salmon in parsley sauce.I had my gums (upper and lower) stitched from side to side and dentures straight on top - my stomach ruled and with careful pain management after a couple of days I was eating most things but not steaks and other meats that needed a lot of chewing, and of course, not raw fruit and vegetables.
A word of warning though re mince - especially if you have unstitched gums please don't eat mince until your gums have healed because the small pieces of mince can become lodged in the sockets and cause infection - meat loaf should be ok but not mince as in shepherds pie, mince stew, etc where the pieces of meat are quite small.

All the best for quick healing and healthy gums.:-))