Mint sauce.

hannahsmummy07, Oct 21, 2:10am
I'm looking through Mint Sauce recipes online, some call for Malt vinegar and some use White vinegar.which do you think is nicer! or does it not matter! Thanks :)

pickles7, Oct 21, 2:31am
Mint sauce
2 X 750 mil., bottles of sauce.
Mint in the garden is perfect right now.

Bring up to simmer;
4 cups of malt vinegar
1 cup of water
2 cups white sugar
3 tsp sea salt
Add 3 cups of chopped mint.
Bring up to boil , remove from the heat.
Cool, bottle and cap when colD.
I have 4 bottles of this now. It will keep well.

kinna54, Oct 21, 3:36am
Malt is nicer.
If making ready to serve for the table, roll the mint leaves into a tube shape to cut, sprinkle on 1-2 tsps sugar and then chop, makes the chopping process a lot easier.
(A personal preference, I always chop mint by hand, not in a processor, as I find that bruises the leaves.)
Cover with a few TBSPS malt vinegar, thena few TBSPS boiling water.
boiling water. Quantities differ depending upon how much you want to make, and to your own personal taste.

jazzryn, Oct 21, 8:12am
Nicest mint sauce ever.for every cup of mint ( I chop mine in processor) add 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of malt vinegar. Bring to the boil and let boil for about 4-5 minutes. I bottle in 3 litre juce bottles and dilute with water as needed. I have kept mine for 3 years and its as good as gold.

jessie981, Oct 21, 8:41am
Malt vinegar

horizons_, Oct 21, 9:39pm
Try replacing a third (approx) of the malt with balsamic vinegar. Adds a nice twist.

buzzy110, Oct 21, 11:04pm
It wasn't till I'd grown up and travelled that I discovered mint sauce is usually made with sugar - masses of it. Blerk. I thought the melted, sweet sauce mixed in with the savoury gravy the most hideous taste experience of my short life. My mother used to finely chop up a handful of mint and put in just enough malt vinegar to cover. Leave that for a few hours to steep and there you have it. Any left over can just be thrown out or saved for the cold meat. I guess we all just get used to what we know best.