How to make the perfect cream cheese icing.

pkv, Oct 14, 5:16am
that is firm and still tastes cream cheesy! Mind always goes sloppy and I find I need to add lots if icing sugar to compensate. TIA

elliehen, Oct 14, 5:32am
This works for me, though I'd never claim to be 'perfect' at anything ;)

125 gm Philadelphia cream cheese in the silver block
1 Tablespon softened butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar

Beat, then spread.

elliehen, Oct 14, 5:38am
The inside of my current Philly packet has this recipe:
LIME CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
250gm Original Philadelphia Cream Cheese block, softened
2/3 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
2/3 cup full cream milk powder
Grated rind of 1 lime

Beat the Philly and sugar with an electric beater until smooth.Add the milk powder and beat again until smooth.Stir through the lime rind.Chill. Use as required.

The packet also says "for other delicious recipes, visit":

www.philadelphiacreamcheese.com.au www.philadelphiacreamcheese.co.nz

gardie, Oct 14, 5:45am
The secret is the best quality cream cheese = a block of Philadephia.The tubs of cream cheese do seem to loose their body when beaten.

malcovy, Oct 14, 7:21am
What is your recipe and that will give the clue why it is 'sloppy'.I recommend that you only lightly soften the cream cheese, don't let it get too soft.This is the recipe I use, it's from the food processor carrot cake off TM.
Soften 50 grams butter and 100 gram cream cheese and then add 1 tsp vanilla ess, rind of lime or lemon and 2 cups sifted icing sugar and beat till smooth.I remember it too be delicious.
Edited to add that I have had no problem with Country Goodness cream cheese.

pheebs1, Oct 14, 10:39am
this is the georgetown cupcake dc vanilla cream cheese to die for recipe

250 block of philly
125 gm butter
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups icing sugar

blend philly and butter together till creamy with electric beaters
then add vanilla beat again
then 1 cup to icing to start withwipped into mixture then add the rest of the icing a cup at a time when its all combined wip on high for 3 mins till light and fluffy
pipe onto cupcakes
so so so good!

pogram0, Oct 15, 4:27am
Cream cheese softens well if you zap it in the microwave for about 20 - 30 seconds.

krazy_kat, Oct 15, 7:20am
Don't put lemon juice in it!

And agree with pheebs1, that recipe is the best one.

bev00, Oct 15, 11:40am
handy hints .

marcs, Oct 15, 12:35pm
This is the cream cheese icing use in my bakery. The idea came about one day while I was making cheesecake (which uses castor sugar). I find using icing sugar makes the icing sloppy (was very frustrating for a while because I could not pipe it) and very sweet and you can't taste the cream cheese. The secret is to use castor sugar. I get a lot of comments about how nice the icing is and you can pipe it straight away. Oh and I sometimes have to use home brand cream cheese because I have run out of my normal cream cheese. As long as it is full fat cream cheese (traditional) it doesn't matter.

250g full fat cream cheese at room temp
125g soft butter
2/3 cup castor sugar,

Flavours - you can use vanilla, or juice and rind of half a lemon or even melted chocolate.

Beat cream cheese and castor sugar till there are no lumps and well combined. The sugar does dissolve. Check this before adding butter. Add butter and beat till very well combined. Add flavour and beat again. If you add too much liquid (flavour) it can go runny. Put in fridge for half hour and it will be good to go. I have posted this recipe before so hoping someone who has used it might comment.

samanya, Oct 15, 8:51pm
You are not using 'lite' cream cheese are you!
I got sloppy icing when I used it.

pkv, Oct 15, 10:36pm
I do use Philly cream cheese. maybe it is the lemon juice! I will add irnd only next time. Thanks

guest, Jan 11, 7:23am
Pleasing you should think of soemnhitg like that

guest, Jan 13, 1:44pm
1 tsp vanilla exratct or almond exratct or butter flavor exratct .1/2 c Crisco, room temp .2 tbsps milk or water .4 c confectioners' sugar, sifted .1 tbsp meringue powder .1/2 c butter, room temp DirectionsStep #1 Cream the butter crisco together.Step #2 Add the flavour exratct water.Step #3 Add dry ingredients 1 c at a time beat on medium until throughly mixed.Step #4 Beat for another 7-10 mins till the icing is creamy smooth.Step #5 Keep covered with a damp cloth while using leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks.Step #6 This yields about 3 c.Enjoy the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe

guest, Jan 14, 9:56am
Start out with a nice flavored coeffe such as Hazelnut cream or Caramel Walnut something rich and wonderful smelling. Next you can always add Splenda, or another calorie free sugar substitute. If the good flavor and sweetness aren't enough and you still want the creaminess try some of the Coffeemate brand creamers Mocha, Hazelnut, Irish cream and no calories!!