A question about bread

motorbo, Oct 13, 9:53pm
im trying to reintroduce some gluten into my diet, i dont eat alot of bread anymore, but really dislike gluten free bread, not to mention the price.what would be a good bread to try.e.g. something really grainy! i know white bread wouldnt be a good choice.any ideas - thanks

davidt4, Oct 13, 10:07pm
Why do you want to do this motorbo!

motorbo, Oct 13, 10:14pm
i dont want to get into a low carb argument, we all have personal choices, my question was about a good choice of bread not why i want to do this

motorbo, Oct 13, 10:19pm
and u so have to come in here dont you buzzy, i dont want your advice thank you.because you are not a nice person at all.u just love to ruin peoples threads.we are all allowed to discuss things without your opinion

sossie1, Oct 13, 10:22pm
I guess vogel's!Small slices as well

davidt4, Oct 13, 10:23pm
Nothing to do with carbohydrates - gluten is a protein.In fact most low-carb breads have a gluten component to help form the dough.

I'm just curious.

buzzy110, Oct 13, 10:38pm
Not talking to you motorbo and I'm not trying to ruin your thread. I'm here merely to ask davidt4 to stay away as well. She doesn't understand that you are itching for a fight, especially with me. I am happy to stay away as well and this will be my last post. I do not wish to ruin your thread. I do not wish to enter into an argument with you. I wish you all the very best with your quest to reintroduce gluten into your diet. I do understand just how awful gluten free bread is.

motorbo, Oct 13, 10:41pm
Davidt4: i enjoy a good sandwich now and again, well i used to with gluten free bread you dont get to enjoy one, salad sammie in summer is a cheap lunch, its cheaper than gluten free bread and money is an issue for me atm, if i can introduce gluten even in small doses, then hopefully for social occasions i can just enjoy the meal with others instead of having to say sorry i cant eat that

motorbo, Oct 13, 10:44pm
your a right one aint you, im never itching for a fight, but you know how i feel about you and your attitude.and to come in here to warn someone about me! i have nothing against Davidt4, unlike you i have always found them to be great on here, we are all allowed different opinions, but you try to enforce yours on others, rather than allowing for healthy debate. that is why i dislike you.

motorbo, Oct 13, 10:45pm
cheers sossie, im going to the supermarket later i will have a look

sarahb5, Oct 14, 12:43am
I really like Freya's Tuscan Grain, or Yarrows Salba which you only seem to get at New World or Pak'n Save.I like the taste of Vogels but the pieces are too dense, too small, don't toast well and don't really have the taste or texture of "real" bread.

valentino, Oct 14, 12:50am
motorbo, some bread shops like "Bakers Boy" and even some of the larger "P'N'Save" 0r "Countdown" quite often have samples to try. Some even have Buns made which could be a good starting point also, just one of each to sample.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers.

motorbo, Oct 14, 1:26am
thansk sarah and valentino

elliehen, Oct 14, 1:49am
Most posters like to think for themselves and don't appreciate such 'warnings'.

elliehen, Oct 14, 1:50am
sarahb5 mentioned the 'dense' Vogel's.Don't they also make a soft loaf!

bedazzledjewels, Oct 14, 1:51am
That should be an interesting transition for you Motorbo. Have you been gluten-free for long! Hopefully your gut has healed enough so you can tolerate just the small amount of gluten you're looking for.
Good luck - and let us know how it goes.

mattdylan, Oct 14, 1:54am
You can try the Vogels 'extra thin' to start you off maybe. I love this toasted and if you fill with fillings you can really taste the fililngs, its not too doughy - i hate dough bread

sarahb5, Oct 14, 2:05am
I like bread that looks and tastes like bread - Vogels and Burgen don't to me - they're nice but nothing like actual bread.Have never seen an extra soft version of Vogels but have never really looked.

elliehen, Oct 14, 2:07am
motorbo, have a look at this Nelson website.

http://www.dovedalebread.com.au/products.html

elliehen, Oct 14, 2:10am
Found it on their website.Vogel's Soft Mixed Grain.
http://www.vogels.co.nz/bread-classic

sarahb5, Oct 14, 2:27am
Yeah so did I - never seen it in the supermarket though but probably because I don't look at Vogels or Burgen - don't eat a lot of bread anyway

greerg, Oct 14, 6:13am
Motobo, the gluten content is closely related to the protein content.I'm not sure which breads are lowest in protein but protein levels are on the bag so a quick comparison in the supermarket might be useful.I see on the Vogel's website that their breads range from 6.9 to 11.2 grams of protein per 100 grms so the Chia and Toasted Sesame is 8.9g/100 g; Twelve Grain Toast has 11.2 g/100 g and Rice and Rye has 6.9 g/100g.

motorbo, Oct 14, 8:37am
thanks for the posts.ive been gluten free for about 4 years now.but ive found oats good for me porridge every morning has helped me alot .so i feel ready to try small amount again

mwood, Oct 14, 9:48am
I find Vogels a bit heavy - down here we have Couplands and they make a Grain & Honey which has a nice balance and stays moist - not as heavy as say a Grain & Linseed (which I presume means oil)