The nicest Pita bread ever

wildflower, Oct 11, 3:53am
This is from World Kitchen, much better than store bought ones.I cook them as I'm about to use them so they're soft and warm.They also puff up beautifully.

2 tsp dried active yeast
1 tsp honey
1 cup warm water
3 cups high grade flour (I used 1 c wholemeal)
6 Tbsp olive oil
Method:In a large bowl, pour warm water and dissolve honey, then sprinkle yeast over the top, swirling to mix.The water will be murky.Cover with a damp cloth and let sit until the yeast is frothy (about 5 min).This tells you it is alive and kicking!Now add flour and oil and mix with a knife until it begins to form a ball, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead it.It should be quite sticky and soft, so resist adding too much extra flour while kneading - just enough to not have it stick to the bench or your hands.Knead 8-10 min until soft and springy.

Lightly oil the bowl it came from and return dough, covering with a plastic bag and then the cloth.Put somewhere warm to double in size (30-60 min).Once risen, punch it back and divide it into 8-10 small balls.Flatten each with you palm and then allow them to relax for 5 min.Now roll each disc to about 10cm in diameter, 1 cm thick.Brush each with a little olive oil before dry frying each on a low to moderately heated pan.Don't allow too much colour to develop before flipping them over when one side is cooked.Undercooking them at this stage is fine if you are going to re-heat or grill them just before serving.Stack them and keep them under plastic until required.

Great with hummus:)

auburn4, Oct 11, 10:37am
Sounds great, will have to try them.

mattdylan, Oct 11, 9:52pm
that is the same recipe as pizza base

wildflower, Oct 12, 2:47am
Lots of different pizza base recipes exist, not surprising since pita bread makes great bases for mini pizzas.

sultana0, Oct 14, 4:57am
Nice thanks

mattdylan, Oct 30, 9:20pm
I made these on the weekend -nice but mine didn't puff up - wonder where I went wrong